[Ask from Customer] To add Related Contacts in Timeline

Related products: None

We have noticed that regarding the “External Attendees” field on Timeline, we can only add Direct Contacts to the account, but not Related Contacts.

Is there a way to be able to include Related Contacts or it is in road-map for future releases?
Hi Hitesh,

Yes, this is on our roadmap. We will be giving a contact filter similar to filter available in cockpit associated objects. Would this solve the use-cases you have in mind?

Thanks,

Nitisha
Yes Nitisha.
Nitisha - we have chosen to disable Associate Contacts because it allows me the ability to search the entire contacts database - meaning, I cannot restrict it to *just* searching for contacts associated with the present account.  It's just too risky that someone could inadvertently associate a contact from the wrong customer and send the email.

Setting that aside for a moment - when I tested the Associated Contacts feature, I don't see all fields available to select as one of my filters.  We have a custom Contact Type field on the Contact object as well as on the Account Relationship Contact object (which provides the related contacts function) that would be crucial in ensuring we select the right "type" of contact.  The Contact Type field could be set to VALUE A on the direct Contact object, the Contact Type field could be set to VALUE B on the Associated Relationship Contact object - but both for the same person.

Without these capabilities, Email Assist (and I guess also External Attendees) is "broken" for us.  We really want to use Email Assist, but in its current state we cannot.
Hi Jeff,

Reg. custom fields not available in Associated Contacts filters - You should be able to add custom fields in both search and filters.

Please let us know if you are still facing this issue or raise a support ticket.

Thanks,

Nitisha
Nitisha, I believe the issue could be that it's a Multi-Picklist field.  I assume that's why I cannot leverage it here.
Nitisha do you have anything yet that is able to be demoed here? 

As I noted below, there needs to be some way to restrict the ability to associate contacts from other  accounts.  i.e. if there is a John Smith at Target and a John Smith at Walmart, I don't want the CSM to be able to inadvertently attach Target's John Smith to Walmart's account.  It's too risky.

Ideally this filter would allow you to pull from the Contact and/or Account Contact Relationship object only for the Account to which the Timeline is associated.
@nitisha_rathi any update here?

Just to provide an update on this old thread, in June 2020 we released a change to how Timeline External Attendees work. Previously they relied on SFDC Contacts, but after the June release, Timeline now uses Gainsight Persons for External Attendees. This allows SFDC contacts and related contacts to be brought into Gainsight using rules automation and then used in Timeline. See this link for more information: https://support.gainsight.com/SFDC_Edition/Release_Notes/2020/09_Release_Notes_Version_6.15_June_2020#Timeline_Based_on_Gainsight_Standard_Objects