So ideally 8 columns in the By in this scenario

although there are other scenarios where it could be more

However we are limited to 5

Can this limit not be removed please ?

This is a core use case for our Sales reps

Thanks

Ian
Hi Ian,

That's great that you have teams that are interested in digging into the details of customer usage! What I usually find that works best when trying to architect reports is to write out on paper (or word, etc) what the dimensions of the report are intending to capture and what the output should look like. Sometimes helpful even to create a mockup in excel. This helps to crystallize your thinking around the data, organization and desired visualizations.

In the case of knowing when to best use "Show me" and "By" - in a nutshell, "Show me" is for providing specific details and "By" is for your aggregations. Often reports that are deep with "Show me" criteria are limited to one or two "By" aggregations; and vice versa.

Another rule of thumb to keep in mind is that "By" aggregations would not be used on multiple fields where the data is unique. For example, while you may want to look at usage data aggregated by Company and Name, adding Email and Phone number (which are both as unique as name) would not provide any additional value in aggregations. 

Either myself or your Gainsight CSM would be glad to help further with your build out of these reports!

Thanks,

Dan
Hi Dan

Thanks for coming back.

In my use case whilst Phone number, Job title etc doesnt influence the aggregations at all its useful to my end users at it saves them having to separately search for the contact details of their customers - ie its all on screen there for them they dont have  to go back and forth.

I may be missing something though so will follow up with my Gainsight CSM - if not then it would be good for the system to allow more By fields.

Cheers

Ian

Yes, I too agree. Right now in reports, we can't add more than 5 fields in Group By. Is there any enhancement on adding more fields in Group by.

Thanks.

We are increasing this to 10 in the new redesigned reporting, but as Dan mentioned typically we should not use a lot of fields in Group By. 

Also, such queries are slower, which means if there are a lot of such reports on a dashboard, dashboard will be slower. 

We are increasing this to 10 in the new redesigned reporting, but as Dan mentioned typically we should not use a lot of fields in Group By. 

wow, nice @rakesh 

Also, such queries are slower, which means if there are a lot of such reports on a dashboard, dashboard will be slower. 

And yes, totally agreed with this.

Thanks.