Question

Are Bionic Rules getting retired in July?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Several Admins are reporting confirmation that Bionic rules will NO LONGER be available in “July” and we will be cutting over to Horizon Rules 100%

At the surface this seems terribly aggresive and ill-advised as many issues have been reported with converting rules and basic Horizon Rule functionality in parity with Bionic Rules. 

Such a change with tremendous impact to Admins globally should be well communicated and accompanied by the proper enable AND option to post-pone or delay the conversion. 

Admins are seeking some feedback/discussion around why this decision was made and with such a hasty timeline.   Please advise with urgency as this has a lot of folks VERY concerned. 

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Please. No. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Current status on this from internal discussions i’ve been on is that no, unmigrated Bionic Rules will not be auto-migrated at end of July on Release weekend.

The current plan:

• After Release Weekend (last weekend of July for US1 NXT - a week earlier for EMEA), you will only be able to create net-new Horizon rules -- when creating a new rule, Bionic Rules won’t be an option as the type of rule to create.
  • Existing Bionic rules will continue to run as-is and be editable -- the target date for deprecating Bionic and auto-migrating any active Bionic rules to Horizon is slated for early 2024.

The Product Team will chime in here with more details soon, but wanted to make sure you knew that you will not wake up on August 1 and find all your Bionic Rules have been auto-migrated to Horizon!

Badge +2

@sdrostgainsightcom I think it is semantics on this one.  Ultimately, admins will no longer be able to create new bionic rules after the July release.  Just because the bionic rules won’t be migrated in August doesn’t mean that this doesn’t create a hardship for most admins.  We will be forced to use Horizon rules for anything new after only 4 months of Horizon being GA.  No warm fuzzies here.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I totally understand @Angie.Walsh  -- and I assumed that my answer wouldn’t 100% put Admins at ease, but I at least wanted to be sure everyone knew that it was not a case of deprecating existing setups on this first planned move to Horizon.

I will let Product take over from here next week in the discussion, but I do know that closing gaps and tracking issues are top priority for that team thru July as well -- and along with opening a ticket, definitely want to see Admins posting issues they are seeing on this channel as well here.

Thank you for focusing the discussion - I’ll keep an eye on responses next week!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Should we move this discussion then to the ‘Idea’ section and change it the title to “Please wait longer before cancelling Bionic Rules”?

Badge +2

Thanks @sdrostgainsightcom .  I know this isn’t you or your decision. I appreciate the insight and the fact that some people from Gainsight are beginning to let others know of this change.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

This is madness.

Gainsight has had a history of not-so-successful attempts to forcibly move customers to GA features before (Bionic Rules, Horizon Analytics, Horizon C360 to name a few).  

Now you're talking about only giving customers 6 weeks notice (by means of word-of-mouth, apparently) to switch away from using Bionic Rules - the most critical Gainsight feature - to Horizon Rules only 4-months after it GA'd and after two months of platform instability?

Any experienced platform manager knows you don’t fully adopt 1.0 versions of a feature until after a couple of release cycles to allow it time to have the major kinks worked out. 

Forcing our hand so soon after GA is not the way to set your customers up for success.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

until after at least couple of release cycles

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks for creating this thread. I agree 100% with the sentiment here. With some of the issues I have encountered, I believe it would be a big mistake to remove the ability to create Bionic rules this quickly. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

To add on, here are just a handful of the issues I’ve seen come up in the slack work group. Are all of these things fixed or identified as bugs? Also building a workaround is not the answer as that can get complicated for some admins.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi all, thank you for your feedback. Please know that we are discussing and evaluating internally and will send out proper communication accordingly. Thanks! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@sshroff @sdrostgainsightcom can you please confirm the functionality intended to be restricted after the July release is limited to rule creation only, and Admins will retain the ability to edit Bionic rules? Forcing Admins to migrate to HRE to edit existing rules would be adding to the pain of removing the ability to create new bionic rules.

TIA

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hello @Stuart -- I haven’t had any reason to doubt that ongoing edits will be allowed.  However, your request for 100% confirmation makes total sense -- it is posted to the Product team internal channel and I’ll have that confirmation after the weekend.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

And don’t even have to wait the weekend @Stuart -- one of the senior product team saw the note and got back to us on their (late!) Friday night.  Per Rakesh:

“We are allowing edits Scott. Only new Bionic Rule would be turned off.”

Again, I understand that there is plenty of anxiety and plenty to discuss as we move toward even this Tier 1 cutover, but glad I could get you the 100% confirmation on this valid concern.  Enjoy the weekend!

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Thanks all. Just wanting to put in my two cents.

When I think back to these other major releases done by Gainsight (Horizon Analytics, Horizon C360), one thing stands out to me above all -- a consistent approach in messaging about important dates of transition. I remember emails, webinars, announcement slides in CSM check-in slide decks, and community posts keeping admins informed of the hard cutover dates early on.

While I may have had my hesitancies as an admin about Horizon Analytics during that transition (now I can’t even remember the old reporting tbh...I really do like the Horizon Analytics experience) as well as Horizon C360 (I still am not super pleased with the UX of this feature but it’s manageable), it was always clear to me

1) when I needed to transition

2) how I could get up-to-speed on the new features/capabilities and

3) plenty of runway for me to prepare our organization for the transition

I almost feel like...because Horizon Rules are not end-user facing (only admins see and work with rules) its being treated as a lesser rollout than Horizon Analytics or Horizon C360. Rules Engine is defined as “the brains of Gainsight.” I would hope that something as critical as a brain transplant would be taken on with more care! 

Thank you to the Gainsters in here helping to amplify our concerns to the appropriate channels! At the end of the day, we all care about this product and want to ensure the best experience possible for other admins!

Badge +2

Hi All,
Firstly, I can’t thank you all enough for being Community contributors, and for expressing your concerns. I can absolutely assure you that Horizon Rules in NO WAY is being treated as a lesser rollout than those that are end-user facing. Our Admin and CS Ops communities are of the utmost importance to us - You curate the way Gainsight is used at all of your organizations, you are the face of Gainsight to your user communities and in the industry. Your experiences matter and we do care.
Second, I want to re-iterate what Sonia posted - given the very recent plan to migrate existing bionic to horizon rules in 2024 (Wed of this week), we are still evaluating any precursor dates, and should have messaged this better. I can assure you that once we have a more formalized plan, you can expect the same level of clear in-advance communication of what is happening and when to expect it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

This was posted earlier today:  

@courtney_hauser I mean no disrespect, but I think the biggest question I have is why the rush to disable the ability to use a mostly stable (and incredibly critical) feature, barely six months after the GA of a new feature that based on the evidence is clearly still very buggy? 

For me personally it’s extra concerning because I don’t currently have access to Horizon Rules as we’re still on SFDC Edition - and I know there are still some out there in the same boat.  So, for me, by the time I get onto NXT (currently targeting September) this will only give me 4-6 weeks first hand exposure to HRs before I am no longer able to create BRs, which will have a distinct impact my productivity.

I get that evolving the platform and moving to new and improved feature sets is part of the game, and one of which I am typically supportive. But 6 months just seems so fast, especially considering the apparent state of HR today.  May you help us understand what is driving the rush here?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I echo @darkknight here. Appreciate the understanding that August is too early...but even October still feels early. I want to give the benefit of the doubt here, but we have seen time and time again on less critical features how long it truly takes to mature. When this is the heart of Gainsight, we need this to be truly ready. 

X-org migration support for Horizon Rules was only released 3-4 weeks ago and has a lot of work to be done. 

I have only heard horror stories about Bionic to Horizon migration. 

Overall, this whole thing is giving me pre-TSD. 

Badge +2

Hi @darkknight and @gunjanm, thanks for your comments. I wanted to acknowledge receipt. I had surgery last week and will be returning to the office on Tuesday, so will reply when I return with some additional details on our plan of action. 

Hope you have a good weekend. 

Badge +2

Hi All, dropping a quick update here now that I’m back to the office. First and foremost, I definitely acknowledge the importance of the Rules Engine as the administrative core of Gainsight and want admins to be fully supported (and excited!) about the updated Horizon experience. To that end, my team is working with Product (and cross-functional teammates) to develop a plan to support rollout that is inclusive of several new support assets, a transparent community thread with open/resolved parity gaps, issues, and bugs (thanks @wayne_baker  and @bradley  for the suggestion), admin office hours sessions, and more. You will continue to see posts from Sonia, Rakesh, Shambhawi, myself (+many others) as we put this plan into place now that initial target dates have been established.

I also want to let you know that Product is continuously looking at support ticket and community info to help guide decision-making and will be transparent with you along the way. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Nothing else to add that wasn’t discussed above (maybe this one, but regarding to Admin UX rather than a bug).

Could be nice if you can add to the support portal a dedicated option to Horizon Rules within the “I need help with” to separate from the get-go the issues of Bionic from Horizon. Just based on the experience in my Org and the chatter in Slack, most of the tickets are coming from issues with the latter, and we're avoiding submitting our own ticket if we've already seen someone with the same issue on Slack…

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

we're avoiding submitting our own ticket if we've already seen someone with the same issue on Slack…

THIS.

Badge +2

I love these ideas - thank you!!! Will take them up internally to see what we can do!!!