Solved

Unable to Delete a Dropdown Associated w/ an Activity Type

• 18 September 2020
  • 11 replies

Badge

I was testing out some dropdown categories that will be associated with a new activity type, but after testing I was unable to delete the dropdown that I didn’t end up wanting to use. Have others run into this problem?

My real problem here may be that I don’t have a “Sandbox” testing environment that would allow me to do this in Gainsight. Is this something that is available for Admin users?

Any ideas, suggestions, or comments welcome!

icon

Best answer by sai_ram 17 November 2020, 11:08

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @ewinglel 

If the Dropdown category is used in any object, we cannot delete the category.

You need to remove the dependency to delete the category.

I hope this helps

Thank you

Preethi

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @ewinglel

Gainsight can provide a sandbox for testing config in. You can also migrate changes from a Sandbox to Production. So if you want, you can build in the sandbox and then publish to prod once everything is tested and finalized. This can help ensure no bad config ends up in your production instance. 

As @pgeorge mentioned, you can’t delete a dropdown category once its used anywhere. To see which dependencies a category has, go to the dropdown item in Data Management and scroll down to the dependency section. Here’s a screenshot: 

In the screenshot above, I’m showing the Opportunity Status dropdown category. You’ll see in the red box that I’m using this category on tow objects. If you click the arrow on the right, you’ll be able to see which specific field its being used in. You will need to remove the category from your field before you can delete the category completely. 

Badge

@jean.nairon Thank you for your response there. How did you go about getting a Sandbox Gainsight account? I think that would be very useful for me as I’m constantly working on new operational workflows and builds for teams throughout my company. Being able to test them before bringing them live would help me avoid deploying any workflows that have issues.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @ewinglel - sandboxes are great to play around in. I definitely recommend getting one for testing stuff out in a safe environment. 

Sandboxes are a paid feature and you would need to talk to your COMs or sales rep to get one. From my perspective, they are well worth the extra money so you can play in safely.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@meenal_shukla Can you redirect this to right COM? 

Badge

@pgeorge where do you delete a dependency? I can’t see where the dependency can be deleted from either the controller field or the dependent one. I see the dropdowns as referenced in the screenshot by @jean.nairon, but in my use case, I do not want to delete the category entirely, I simply want to remove a dependency I’ve created on the category in data management. 

Badge

Another use case is to delete one item from a dropdown list or category. This doesn’t appear to be possible. @pgeorge 

Badge

@sierra_evans  I just ran into this problem (cant remove dependancy created via + dependancy- https://support.gainsight.com/Gainsight_NXT/02Data_Management/02Managing_Data_In_Gainsight/03Dropdown_List_and_Multi_Select_Dropdown_List#Create_a_Dropdown_list_for_Dependent.0ACategories)  also. Did you get any response? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @sierra_evans 

Sorry for the late response.

For deleting the dependency, you would need to go to the Object and delete the field. The object and the field name would be the names shown in the dependencies listing 

Right now we cannot delete Dropdown lists, but you can make them inactive.

Thank you

Preethi

Badge +4

Hello @preethi, I don’t think this question was answered fully, if we only want to delete an item from the dropdown list, how would we go about doing so?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

I’m stuck on this as well. Where would I delete a dropdown? There’s no delete button, and marking in Inactive isn’t the same thing as deleting. This is for a dropdown list that isn’t even live yet and has no data created.