Solved

Map Timeline Activities back to CTA

• 4 October 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
As we continue to analyze how our end users are using Gainsight to look for areas of improvement, we've run into a need to be able to extract a mapping of Timeline Activities that were created via a CTA back to the CTA from which it originated.

In looking at the Activity Timeline object, I have the Source field which tells me it came through a CTA but I don't see a lookup to the Call to Action object. I don't see any connection in the reverse, either.

Is there a way to produce such an extract via Report Builder or Rules Engine?

icon

Best answer by spencer_engel 4 October 2019, 16:11

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Jeff - there is a field called "Context ID" on the Activity Timeline object that contains the CTA ID (assuming the Timeline entry is associated with a CTA). https://support.gainsight.com/SFDC_Edition/Administration_and_Permissions/General_Administration/Timeline_Module_Objects

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks Spencer. if i had just dug a little deeper! 🙂

And it looks like Source does NOT identify CTA so I was wrong on that point. Appreciate the clarification!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I cannot create a lookup on context ID because the Activity Timeline is a standard object. Is it possible for your product team to implement this look up? 

Is there a better way to get this information?

We are trying to look at activities tied to Onboarding CTAs. Without a look up we would have to do some data mashing to try and derive this information.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Context ID holds the ID to the CTA record. You are correct, it’s not a lookup field, it’s a string. If GS can change it to a lookup, that would most likely be the easiest solution. But in the meantime, hope the below info helps. 

You can use Data Designer to bring the two tables together (Timeline Activity and Call to Action). Data Designer allows you to merge tables into a single table for reporting. In this case, you’re looking to merge Activities with CTAs via the Context ID (which is the CTA’s GSID). 

If you use this data, you’ll see there’s multiple Context types. You’ll want to filter down to Context Name = CTA. 

Hope this helps address your solution. Let me know if you run into any challenges.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Jean - based on our findings I had implemented that as the alternative solution. As you mentioned, it would be nice to not have to create a custom space for a singular purpose.