Question

How do we access the new global timeline feature just released?

How do we access or make available the new global timeline feature just released this week?

14 replies

Badge +3
Hi Terry!

If you've enabled the feature already, but are unable to see the Timeline as an option in Customize Tabs, open a Support Ticket.  I had to do that this morning when I was unable to access them after enabling the feature.  (They are aware of an issue and how to resolve.)

Below are the release notes that walk you through the steps to enable to feature - and a brief overview of the functions.

Release Notes Version 5.13 April 2018

https://support.gainsight.com/Release_Notes/Current_Release_Notes/Release_Notes_Version_5.13_April_2...

Welcome to the Community!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Terry,

Just turned it on for my team on the flight home from Pulse! There are two steps. First it has to be activated in Gainsight Administration. Then it has to be added as a Salesforce tab, either on a user-by-user basis or for all users in Salesforce's Setup area. There are details and screenshots in the release notes: https://support.gainsight.com/Release...
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Terry, welcome to the Gainsight forums and thanks for giving Timeline a try!

It looks like Sagan and Seth got you covered on this question, thanks guys.

We have monthly product releases at Gainsight, so I'd really recommend that you subscribe to this forum channel where we publish all the latest info for each release: https://community.gainsight.com/gainsight/categories/gainsight_release_notes

as well as our release notes section on our documentation site: https://support.gainsight.com/Release_Notes
Thanks all!
Badge
I had a follow up question regarding the Global Timeline tab. I was under the impression that there are no permission settings currently for this view, however one of my CSMs tried to open the Timeline tab and it resulted in an insufficient privileges warning and to contact his Admin. 

What would be the cause of that? Do only Admins have access right now? He is just under the Gainsight Standard permission set. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
That's the message I saw before I had enabled it in Administration -- is everyone else having no trouble, or is this just the first CSM who tried?
Badge
Hey Seth, 

I enabled it in Admin a couple days ago. I spent some time testing it out and getting a better understanding of its functionality before letting CSMs know. 

I had a couple CSMs try and open it so that I could get some feedback and they all had insufficient privileges. Only my Admin account can access it. I thought I had followed the documentation correctly. 
Hi Manmeet,

If the admin configuration is turned on then the data should be visible in the tab for all CSMs. Can you please raise a support ticket for it.

Thanks,

Nitisha
Badge +3
Hi Manmeet - I had to enable a setting on the 'Salesforce' (or Setup) side in order for my users to see it.  Going under the Profile section (under Manage Users) that is in use by your users, and then setting Timeline to 'Default On', allowed them access to this feature.
Badge
Thanks Sagan! 

I will give that a try and see if it fixes the issue. 
Was there anything else that you did? I changed the profiles to that setting and it still shows the insufficient privileges. The only thing I've seen to fix it to do provide Gainsight Admin permissions in Permission sets, but I don't want everyone to have those permissions.
Badge +3
Hi Daniel!  For us, we had to enable it both the Salesforce side and Gainsight.  At this time, there aren't additional permissions to lock down which users can, and cannot have access though.  [i]At least that was the case as of one of the earlier releases...They have talked about changing this to add more permissions around it though.[i]  I hope this helps!
Then it much a bug from what I can see. All permission sets are up to date in both GS and SF and it still is showing the error. Understanding the fact that they will push an actual 'permissions' interface for this tab at some point, I'll see what else I can find to at least make it available for the Gainsight users.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Daniel, Please do reach out to support@gainsight.com for assistance!