Chrome plugin: Logging email to timeline (Existing workflow) vs

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hello Community, 

We’d like to hear what you have to say regarding a new workflow that is being worked on for Logging email to timeline.

Chrome plugin: Logging email to timeline (Existing workflow)

• 1-click logging into timeline

• All email activities are always logged in as timeline activity type “email”

Limitations

• Activity type cannot be changed
  • Additional fields on the activity need to be updated by going to Gainsight timeline and editing the activity

Chrome plugin: Logging email to timeline (New workflow)

• Clicking on log to timeline button opens complete timeline activity creation experience

Note: Every email logging will require 2 clicks.

31 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

FYI @sriram pasupathi 

Badge

I think this is a great idea for the companies that need it but this should be an optional feature for the org. As we don’t require any changes before email activities logged in, this will just create extra unnecessary work for our CSMs and will reduce the activity logging.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi @t.uzel we appreciate your feedback and voice of thought here, please feel free to tag other CSMs so we can hear what they have to sat as well :) 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

FYI @mandy_major @bradley @TMaier @kstim @heather_hansen @matthew_lind @CrisCosta @eku_malcolm @carolyndibuono @darkknight @andreammelde @ana_g @sarahmiracle 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

In our case, I think it would be helpful as often times, the email is actually for another activity type, but I do think it depends on your processes as @t.uzel mentioned.  What about giving the admin the ability to set which activity types are available, and if only one is set, not displaying that additional click?

Badge +2

Having the ability in the feature itself where one option to single click log to timeline (defaults to email type and the second option to modify the entry before logging (giving option to change type).

Then end users can have both the quick option and the flexible options at their disposal.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Having the ability in the feature itself where one option to single click log to timeline (defaults to email type and the second option to modify the entry before logging (giving option to change type).

Then end users can have both the quick option and the flexible options at their disposal.

I came to say exactly this. I love the iteration here but I don’t feel it should be an either or situation. Providing an option to log directly to Timeline as well as an ‘edit’ option that surfaces the pop-up would be ideal for our users.

FYI @darkknight 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I think the more common way I’ve seen the plugin used is via the checkbox at the bottom of the compose window - the only time I’ve ever advised anyone to use the status ribbon to log an email is when the sync to Gainsight failed for whatever reason.

I personally don’t care for this idea, because I don’t want to encourage users to edit the content of their emails or the recipients prior to syncing it to Gainsight - one of the core value-add’s of the plugin is that it logs an exact copy of the email directly to Timeline with minimal user interaction.

If I were asking for enhancements to the plugin, I would focus on two things…

1. The conflict resolution pop-up when multiple Company matches occurs is unreliable / easy to miss. For whatever reason (browser configuration, pop-up blockers, etc) the window doesn’t seem to always pop up for users. I currently suggest that everyone check their timeline drafts at least weekly to clean up because it’s so common to have unresolved misses.
  2. Allow users to create a Company Person record from their inbox via the plugin when no matches are found. This would be pretty involved and I can see some dangers so it should be an optional feature per org, and some validation would be required to ensure good data.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3

This would be great - one of the issues we have found is that Chrome and BCC to Timeline will assign to our “internal” account bc the CSM is on the email and you cannot change the company after the timeline is logged.

By doing the pop-up, this would allow CSMs to validate the information before logging and address this issue we have had.

Agree with @TMaier on that CSMs use the checkbox not the ribbon at the top

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I personally don’t care for this idea, because I don’t want to encourage users to edit the content of their emails or the recipients prior to syncing it to Gainsight - one of the core value-add’s of the plugin is that it logs an exact copy of the email directly to Timeline with minimal user interaction.

Sometimes email threads are so long they won’t get logged because they exceed the character count.  This would give users the ability to edit out the “fluff” and just log the vital content.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

This would be great - one of the issues we have found is that Chrome and BCC to Timeline will assign to our “internal” account bc the CSM is on the email and you cannot change the company after the timeline is logged.

By doing the pop-up, this would allow CSMs to validate the information before logging and address this issue we have had.

Agree with @TMaier on that CSMs use the checkbox not the ribbon at the top

Agree. No one I know of uses the ribbon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Sometimes email threads are so long they won’t get logged because they exceed the character count.  This would give users the ability to edit out the “fluff” and just log the vital content.

Maybe we have the best of both worlds and instead of editing, or failing if the email is too long, it simply truncates the entry at the character limit?

Userlevel 1

I’m with @andreammelde that this sounds like it would help us resolve the email to the correct company on the first try, which is an ongoing issue for Propeller. That being said, this does create extra clicks for the emails that currently sync to Timeline in one step.

I like @anthonysabato ‘s idea of having both options. And maybe the full entry pops up automatically when Gainsight can’t resolve the email to any Company immediately? This would relieve the CSM of having to then log the email to drafts and then login to Gainsight to resolve to the correct company.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@carolyndibuono the issue we have had with company is that it thinks it resolved it bc we have our CSM on the email and they are associated with the internal account, so the only pop-up if not resolved wouldn’t fix the wrong auto-resolved issue.

If it’s not resolved, the timeline goes to drafts where the CSM can fix the account at a later time currently.

I think the one more click in email would save the copy/paste and the other headaches and would be worth one more click. I can survey our CSMs as well and get their feedback

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Feedback from our CSMs is that they would want the Account assumption populated upfront and they can edit it or if nothing needs to be changed they just hit save as it is

Hello,

This is a great ‘optional’ idea, I personally think by CSM’s would be mad at me if I told them they now had to go through a two click process, instead of making it quick lol. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Great to see awesome engagement on this proposed feature.

Moved this to under ‘Timeline’ section of the community

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Cornelia @anirbandutta any idea on if this will be taken on? We continue to run into issues where Chrome PlugIn assumes the wrong account, especially if the CSM is attempting to use to log a customer response where they are the recipient not the sender

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Cornelia @anirbandutta is there way to make this something people could vote on? would love to get better traction on it

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Bhawya, @PavanCh please share an update on this track. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@andreammelde good news! We have this feature planned to be rolled out in the next release :) 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@anirbandutta great news! Just to confirm, when is the next release?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The Q4 Jan Release is coming up in the next couple of weeks :) 

Pl also attend this event to catch all the awesomeness

The Q4 Jan Release is coming up in the next couple of weeks :) 

Pl also attend this event to catch all the awesomeness

Did this feature end up launching with the January release? If so, how do we enable it?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Bhawya vmallya Could you please give us the updated release timeline for this feature