Solved

Would like to pull the text from a multi-select question of a flattened survey

Badge +1
I have been speaking with a customer who would like to pull the text from a multi-select question in a Flattened Survey. This is possible through the UI as well as a single select answer.

A flattened survey report will place each answer into its own column

In the UI it will consolidate answers into one column.

Do we see us being able to pull the text from a multi-select survey answer in a flattened report?
icon

Best answer by sekhar_dutta 8 July 2021, 12:37

View original

15 replies

Badge

I have been speaking with a customer who would like to pull the text from a multi-select question in a Flattened Survey. This is possible through the UI as well as a single select answer.

A flattened survey report will place each answer into its own column

RackMultipart20180725-14302-pef7g2-Image_2018-07-25_at_1-06-35_PM_inline.png

In the UI it will consolidate answers into one column.

RackMultipart20180725-56485-lxkohv-Image_2018-07-25_at_1-30-03_PM_inline.png

Do we see us being able to pull the text from a multi-select survey answer in a flattened report?

Have there been any updates on this topic? the separated columns with numeric representation of the selections is really difficult to use for follow on processes.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@michael_sweeney I have pulled these into a flatten survey by creating a dataset in a rule to send to SFDC. Lots of left joins and concatenations. Its not ideal

Badge

Hi @michael_sweeney  and @shannon_olsen,

Attached screenshoots are not very clear, Could you please confirm if you are looking for below -

For example you have a multi select question with 3 options  1. A    2.  B     3.  C 
Currently in flatten object 3 column gets created and on the selected answers column it will have 1, otherwise 0.

Are you looking for an additional column which will have all answers comma separated ? Ex : If user selected 1 & 3 option then then value will be A,C .

Please confirm, and also if you share the use case it will help.

Badge

@sekhar_dutta 

What you outlined is EXACTLY what I’d be looking for! A single column that presents all selections made in the original question with comma delineation.

Ex : If user selected 1 & 3 option then then value will be A,C .

Here are the details of my use case:

• when a sales rep sells a deal we serve them with a survey from Gainsight to capture background on the program as well their campaign targeting preferences and marTech set-up knowledge gathered from the customer. Some of the questions in this survey match to attributes we maintain in Gainsight at the C360 and R360 levels.
  • Once the survey is completed we have rules in place to transfer the answer values into the related attributes in the C360 and R360. We’ve successfully created these rules for open text and single select values but are stuck when it comes to the multi-select questions (some of which have between 70-120 options that could be selected - targeting is very broad...)
  • The Survey serves as a snap shot in time of this data and the attributes are then maintained by the CS team throughout the lifecycle of the program

Please let me know if any additional information would be helpful to evaluation / prioritize a solution here. Our current solution is to have our CS team manually transfer multi-select data into the applicable fields :-(

Badge

Thanks for the confirmation and details @shannon_olsen.

This ask is totally make sense to us, we will review this with the team internally and try to make the change sometime after April. We will update here once this change is done.

Badge

Hi @michael_sweeney  and @shannon_olsen,

We have made the necessary changes for above request.

For new surveys that new column will automatically get created, but for existing survey you have to manually trigger flattening to create/populate that new field for existing responses, to manually trigger flattening you have to go to the specific survey → analyze tab  → reset flatting (see attached screenshoot below).

Please let us know if you face any issue.

Badge +1

This is a very exciting enhancement. One question why am I seeing the same answer multiple times? 

Badge

Hi @shannon 

There was an another issue which was causing this, now we have fixed the same.

Could you please reset the flattening again from Survey Analyze tab and check if it is fine now.

If you see any further issue then feel free to create a support ticket.

Badge +1

Hi @shannon 

There was an another issue which was causing this, now we have fixed the same.

Could you please reset the flattening again from Survey Analyze tab and check if it is fine now.

If you see any further issue then feel free to create a support ticket.

Looks good now ~ thank you

Badge

@sekhar_dutta 

We were able to update our data and created some data transfer rules to take advantage of the updated fields - THANK YOU! 

Our test runs were successful, but when we ran the rule officially we ended up with failures on any record that contains more than 1 selection value in the field. I think this is because the values in our flattened data are comma separated instead of semi-colon separated. Is it possible to change the delineation character so that we’re able to fully utilize this update?

Badge

Hi @shannon_olsen 

I am not sure on the issue you are facing, I would suggest you to create a support ticket so that they can help you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @shannon_olsen 

I am not sure on the issue you are facing, I would suggest you to create a support ticket so that they can help you.

@shannon_olsen did you get a chance to create a support ticket?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @shannon_olsen 

@shannon_olsen did you get a chance to create a support ticket?

@shannon_olsen did you get a chance to create a support ticket? Do you need any help.

Badge

@sai_ram I do have a ticket in place for about 2 months (133256). it has taken a bit of time to get it elevated to the engineering team to review, but I am hopeful that we’re making progress. I was able to illustrate that rules work as desired when the values are concatenated with a ; rather than a comma. I am not sure of the level of effort to make the concatenated field adjustments to use a different character.

Badge

Hi @shannon_olsen 

We have made the above said changes, for existing surveys you have to manually reset flatting from survey analyze tab. After this you will see multi select answers are ;  separated in survey flatten object.