Question

Need help troubleshooting a rule error message: Custom field contains Invalid value {null} for EMAIL data type

• 17 June 2022
  • 6 replies

Need help troubleshooting a rule error message: Custom field contains Invalid value {null} for EMAIL data type.

I have a number of email addresses being failed for this error and i dont know why.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I would check to make sure the Sender Email address is populated for all records. The program will validate both recipient and sender email addresses

Userlevel 1

I’m running into this now with one of my programs. I changed the underlying fields in the data design pretty drastically, I need to be able to remap my attributes but I can’t, because I can’t sync because of this error. 

I’m going to try and rebuild from scratch.

I faced the same issue. In my data set, at the end of the email, there was a space, and some of them had a comma or a semi-colon at the end.

Removing all this unwanted info will resolve the issue.

@Scotty at Calendly hope this helps.

Hi @EmmettN 

I am facing the same issue. Did it get resolved by creating a program from scratch?

I am running into this same issue.  Can someone please direct me on how to correct This? The above comments do not make sense to me. Sorry

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@Ginanash99 If anyone you’re sending a JO email to is ever null, I believe you’ll receive this error every time. My understanding is that if the recipient email address and/or CC(s) are null, Gainsight doesn’t know who to send the email to, so it fails the participant(s) with that error.

To fix this, I always ensure I have a case expression set up for each of my sending fields to ensure that it should never be null. That way, the email should almost always send (unless, of course, a different error pops up).

Example: If my recipient email address is sending to the CSM on an account, I set up a case expression in a transform step like so:

CASE when CSM is null, then Consultant

CASE when CSM is null and Consultant is null, then CUSTOM noreply@example.com

Default to CSM.

Hope this helps!