Question

Ideal NPS Survey Contacts

• 21 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Currently evaluating our NPS contact strategy.  Specifically trying to ensure we are targeting the correct Decision Maker contacts.  I am curious how others determine the best contacts involved in decision making processes to survey?

2 replies

Badge +3

@DrewDR I would recommend reaching out to your CSM on this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@DrewDR Welcome to the Community; I’m glad you’re here, and with a great challenging question.

Contact quality is a famously tricky issue for nearly everyone, I think. Given your question about identifying the best contacts, it often comes down to what you’re desired outcome is. If you’re trying to evaluate product perception across an entire customer, perhaps to better identify risk, then a wider net of NPS surveys get you there. If you’re instead trying to increase the number of available advocates, you may desire to isolate to executives or decision makers.

Often, I recommend using what you already know, or can know. For example, use the contact’s Title, where you have it, as a proxy. Or if your product has administrators or power-users which can be identified easily by product telemetry, use that. If it’s decision makers, you might also tap your Sales counterparts on the shoulder, because they likely had to navigate this at the initial sale, for a head-start. I’m wondering too if you track attendance at EBRs, if those attendees would be a place to start, as attendees to those types of meetings tend to be more leadership-oriented. Then, and hopefully lastly, rely on your customer-facing teams like CSMs, to further scrub your contact lists.

If you have a higher-touch model with frequent customer touch points, I’ve found it pretty reliable for CSMs to simply ask, “Are you the decision maker? And who else is a decision maker?” Or, if the team wants to be a little softer with the language, “When we discuss and review how NAVEX is contributing to your success, who should be present?” That list is probably gold when it comes to decision makers.

Much success….and keep us updated on what works--and what doesn’t--as you embark on your NPS strategy.