Question

How do CSMs set the CSM Sentiment on your scorecard?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

How do you set up the CSM Sentiment measure on your scorecard?

There are a few ways rattling around in my brain:

1. CSMs manually set the measure score on a certain cadence
  2. Sentiment is derived using a custom field on Timeline that a CSM sets for logged activities and set automatically
  3. A combination of CSMs manually setting the measure and automatically setting the measure based on risk criteria (ie, at least 1 Risk CTA, or an At Risk opportunity)
  4. Something else entirely

At the end of the day, my intention is to ensure CSM Sentiment is captured in the most efficient way possible, ideally without additional burden from CSM for manual data entry. 

We do automate some Risk CTAs today, and plan to have CSMs manually create Risk CTAs for certain identified risks as part of our risk review process. So, it’d be nice to leverage that. They also already set Opportunity stages to At Risk, so I’d like to use that as well (though I do want to be able to identify accounts trending At Risk even if the opportunity doesn’t state it yet).

Thoughts???

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

We have a custom field on Timeline activities so that we can also capture and report on the reason for the sentiment score.  That way instead of having to track an activity, then go to scorecard, they can do it all in one place.  We have a separate measure that is not manual that uses Risk CTAs.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

We use a custom Timeline Activity type for CSM Health Update. CSMs are required to submit one per customer every month for renewals due in 60-120 days and every week for renewals due in 0-60 days. The Notes log to Company and to Account in SFDC and the Sentiment updates a field on the Company, the Scorecard and SFDC Account record (real-time sync which then updates real-time to Clari for forecasting). Sentiment only changes Overall Health if it is Red. 

They have a widget on their Gainsight Home for customers missing a recent CSM Health Update and use the Timeline widget from Gainsight Home to log those updates.

What’s useful about using the Timeline Activity as opposed to directly on the scorecard measure is that it is easy for anyone to filter Timeline for that Activity Type to see the history as well as know the day that they flipped to Red and compare to a Churn date. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@john_apple interesting to hear how you tie it to forecasting (which makes sense). With Clari, I’m guessing there are other elements that tie into the overall forecasting for the account, and Sentiment is just one of those?

I’m guessing then that you have a rule that fetches those logged timeline activities and sets the Sentiment score in scorecard accordingly?

Would you mind sharing the custom fields you have on that activity type?

And, for that update cadence, is this regardless of segment? I’m thinking of how that manual update cadence could be scaled for a CSM with a large book of business...

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@heather_hansen 

We have a separate measure that is not manual that uses Risk CTAs.

Can you expand on this other measure? I’m toying with the same idea. Maybe even just calling the measure “Risk” that is set based on Risk CTA OR Opportunity Stage = At Risk

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of differentiating between Sentiment and these other risk triggers. For example, we may have an account where the opportunity is At Risk, but we’ve managed to turn that around and the Sentiment is now trending positively, showing a potential for risk resolution. It would help us further segment down on our Risk. 

So, a Sentiment score that is manually updated (using either of the recommendations above), and a Risk measure that would track the presence of an open risk or at risk opp stage...

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@sarahmiracle it’s based on the percentage of CTAs that are Risk out of the total. We also had a separate measure for opp risk. We have fields for renewal potential and renewal likely so it was a calculation based on how those compared.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@sarahmiracle - Sentiment from the CSM is one part of forecasting for renewals. The notes are impactful during account reviews.

Yes - there is a rule that finds the latest update to Timeline and writes to Company, then a rule that runs that updates the scorecard.

We have a custom field for Customer Lifecycle Stage that is required and matches the dropdown for the same field on the Company record (rule also updates Customer Lifecycle Stage on Company record when it changes). Sentiment is a required dropdown -- Red, Yellow, Green. We have optional fields for Cadence (the frequency of CSM engagement with a particular customer) and a field for selecting the type of products that the activity is for.

There is variance in the required frequency of updates dependent on customer segmentation with expectation on higher tier customers and much less so on pooled accounts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

This awesome Discussion deserves to be the new Scorecard category inaugural thread.

Thanks @sshroff, @sarahmiracle and friends for the nudge.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

What we do resembles what @john_apple  has submitted above (except we do it directly in the Health Index, and add an update to flag the reason for the change in sentiment (or lack thereof). This has sparked some inspiration to tackle the revamp of our tech touch scorecard. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@sarahmiracle this is what our custom fields look like on Timeline. There’s a dependency between color and reason to limit the options.