Solved

What is the limit of contacts/accounts that can be sent to a Marketo campaign?

• 25 January 2016
  • 3 replies

I created a rule in Gainsight and ran a test. I got the failure message as:  "Rule Test run failed: Number of records to process this action exceeds the limit. Please apply more filters to narrow down results."

Number of records fetched: 44273

I read somewhere that currently we can send only 1000 emails per batch from Marketo. Does that mean Gainsight will sync 1000 contacts in one batch?

Thanks,

Shashank Sharma
icon

Best answer by sundar 28 January 2016, 12:29

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
The reason for the failure in rules engine is due to the no.of contacts that is being queried exceeds the Rules Engine limit. 

44273 would be the number of accounts I suppose, and the list of contact in those accounts would be greater than that. Is that right? Try to add some more contact filters to reduce the # of contacts that are queried for each account.
Thanks, Sundar! I understand that. Because the preview shows a sample list and doesn't let us know the total data size, how do we get to know the count of accounts/contacts being pulled by a certain criteria? So, what I want to understand is the threshold limit of accounts/contacts that a rule engine can process without failure? Also, if the data size exceeds the limit does it process some contacts and then fails for the rest? Any insights around that would be helpful.
Userlevel 5
In general Rules Engine limitation is 100k records per rule. But for Email / Marketo action there is a second query made to salesforce to bring in the contacts for the selected accounts, that is where it hits the limitation when doing the in-memory join of both query results. 

If you paste a snapshot of the Marketo action, I will be able to help you here. Or feel free to get in touch with support.