Solved

Send yearly survey for multi-year deals

Badge +1
Lets see if anyone can think of a solution to this. Some of our customers have multi-year deals (which can span from 13 month to more than 60 months) and one of our teams want to send these customers a special survey the day in which their opportunity started. Notice I said when the opportunity started and not the "Customer Since" field. So, when I build the rules to get the recipients, how can I check current date with their opportunity start date? Considering opportunity start date contains the year, I can't just compare it with rule date. Transformation policies seems not to work for this either (or maybe I haven't noticed how to do it). Any ideas?

Thanks!

M
icon

Best answer by seth 25 May 2018, 18:11

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
You could create formula checkbox fields on Opportunity:

• Does the month of the year of the start date equal the month of the year of today?MONTH( start_date_c ) = MONTH( TODAY() )

• Does the day of the month of the start date equal the day of the month of today?DAY( start_date_c ) = DAY( TODAY() )

If both of those checkboxes are true, send that email!

(But also add a criteria for start_date_c < Rule Date, so they don't get the survey on the first day of their contract.)

Don't take my word on those exact formulas, though. You might need to do an IF statement if you want to account for corner-cases where the start date is null.
Badge +1
Thanks Seth! I thought of that but was trying to see if I could have any options without adding more fields to Salesforce.
Hi Marcelo,

Did you try using the date formula functions in transformation task of Bionic Rules. There is a Datediff() formula which can take 2 dates as input and return the number of days. That might be a useful metric to retrieve the data that you want. We have couple of other date formula functions in Bionic rules which are good to explore.

Regards,

Jitin
Badge +1
Hi Jitin! Yes, I played around with all the date formulas but returning number of days doesn't help with multi year contracts (specially since we don't have specific terms being that in some cases it could be 13 month, in other 48 and so on).
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Marcelo, is the goal to send the survey annually on the anniversary date of their opportunity?  I might have missed if the goal is to recur the survey every year on that given date.
Badge +1
Correct. We would like to send a survey on their anniversary for the duration of their contract.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I think I've got something that can make this work. 

• Create a field on the Customer record that is "number of days since opportunity start". 
  • Use a rule to calculate the difference between today's date and the opportunity start date; write this value to the field you created in the previous step
  • Create an Advanced Outreach and set in your filter criteria the requirement that the "number of days since opportunity start" field must be greater than 365
  • In the filter criteria, set that a participant can enter once per 365 days (see: https://support.gainsight.com/Product_Documentation/CoPilot_and_Automated_Email/Admin_Configuration/...)
The net result here is that you will add participants only after 365 days have passed, you'll send them the survey, and then they won't be able to be added to the participant list again until another 365 days will have passed. 

How does that sound?