Question

Pushing Open SalesForce Tasks to Gainsight as CTAs

• 26 September 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge
We are currently in the process of re-rolling out Gainsight to our CSMs and for the transition to go smoothly we are trying to push all the open Tasks in SF to Gainsight as new CTAs. 

I am able to get every relevant field needed in the rules engine via the Task object. 

The only issue I am experiencing is in the CTA "Setup Action" window is linking the contact in the "Name" field that the SFDC task was associated with. I am able to pull the field into the "Show" section but am not able to link the field. 

I was wondering what are the limitations of the "Associated Contact" in the "Setup Action" of the rule? I am able to select the "Name ID" but not the field that actually contains the name of the contact which is "Name ID Name". 

Are only IDs able to be linked to the CTA? If I was did end up selecting the "Name ID" as the "Associated Contact", would the CTA populate the actual name or would it just show the id?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Manmeet,

I can't offer personal experience, but my expectation would be that the Setup Action is looking for the ID of the Contact to plug into the CTA record. I would suggest running it for a very small set of the Tasks, and then it will always be easy to delete them (either manually or using Mass Edit).

If this is a one-time load, and the Rules Engine gives you any hard-and-fast limitations, you can always instead use Data Loader to load the Tasks into the CTA object. It just gets more finicky to get all the IDs correct, the date fields in the right format, and so on.
Badge
Hi Seth,

Thanks for the response! Yeah sounds like it's just a Gainsight functionality limitation. Probably only allows for fields that listed as IDs to be able to link it. I will test it out further and see if I can find a way to make this work.

The idea about using the Data Loader seems like it could work since this is just a one-time push. Not exactly sure how that would work though. I would use the Data Loader to load all open Tasks to the CTA object in SFDC? Does that allow for an easier push into Gainsight CTAs? Or is it loading it into the object in Gainsight? Still not sure if that would allow me to link the contact the Task is associated with since that is not classified as an ID field.

I mostly wondering what the parameters are for what is allowed to be linked in the Set up Action window and what isn't. If I was to create a new field in SFDC and push the name to that field and have that field set up so that it is an option to be linked in the rules engine. If that makes sense. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Manmeet,

The CTA object in SFDC [i]is indeed the Gainsight CTA object. If you get the records loaded there, then they will appear in Cockpit. But to get at your underlying question, I think you should focus on loading the ID into the CTA field. I would be surprised if the system were set up to have the CTA recorded with the [i]name of the person; it most likely accepts the [i]ID of the person in that field, and looks up the name on the fly. You could always confirm by creating a CTA manually, associating it with a Contact, and building a Report on the CTA object.
Badge
Thanks for the explanation! Appreciate the help. Yeah that's a good idea, I'll give it a try and see if the name of the person does get populated or not. Can't believe I didn't think of running a report, so thank you for that suggestion!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Sometimes all it takes is a sounding board! 
Badge
Just wanted to follow up and say thanks for the help! All good here now, it does in fact still pull in the actual name even when using the "Name ID" field, which is awesome. 
Badge
Hi Manmeet,

'Associated Contact' in Create CTA action accepts contact ID's and actually shows the name of the contact in CTA details view.

Let me know if your facing any issues in that.

Regards,

Hitesh
Badge
Nope, all good now! Since I wasn't doing any live rule runs and only running test rules, the excel file with the results wouldn't show whether or not the CTA linked the correct contact from the SFDC Task or not. Mostly I was just doing due diligence and making sure that the "Name ID" field would actually show the contact name and not the ID before testing it out on actual accounts. Unfortunately, our sandbox has not been properly set up before I began here.