Question

More than 2 calculated fields (over time) per rule

• 22 June 2015
  • 6 replies

I'm just wondering why you limit the aggregations (over time) to 4 - i would like to have more calculated fields per rule? I'd like to add more calculated fields than 2 so as to bundle in more actions per rule.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
This is limitation added purely due to intensity of processing that is required on servers. We are looking for ways to improve that in future. As you know, another rule can be created to get the remaining measures. 

Thanks for the feedback.
The way the calculated fields work today is very neat because it's essentially a "rule within a rule".  But I can imagine that it's pretty expensive from an server execution perspective. I don't think customers would be opposed to you splitting out this functionality so that it's a different construct (aka feature).  Using Gabriel's example, what if there was a separate module called "Calculated fields" and we were able to create a logic for aggregating a particular metric like "SUM of logins in the past 5 weeks".  As long as this was calculated sometime after data enters gainsight and before the CTA rule got executed, you could have the system schedule this whenever was convenient. If you can offload processing to when more server resources are available, I'd think that'd allow for more calculated fields to be created.  Also, this way, the CTA rule would have less overhead.  You still have the problem of how often / how many fields to allow... but I'd settle for just knowing that it was calculated every weekend for each calculated field. 

This probably belongs in an idea section - just love to brainstorm! 
Userlevel 5
Luiz, This is something that can be achieved right now if you load the calculated measure into Usage data or other objects of your choice. For this create one or more rules to get the calculated measures and use Load to Usage or Load to SFDC object and persist this data. Now you can use that field in the rule to create CTA. Would this work?
Great idea!  So essentially you can use the calculated field feature to, say, SUM a range of values and then you'd map that into the destination object. We've been using the "Customer Info" object for some custom fields, and since it's a companion to the Salesforce Account - that would work perfectly as long as we're careful about the timing.  Very cool way to create lots of "Last X weeks rolling" metrics that you can then reference from wherever you are...
Hey Gabriel and Luis,

I recently started going through all of the unanswered

or unresolved problems and questions here. Was checking to see if this

has been resolved or if it is an ongoing issue/question?

Thanks,

-Evan
it is resolved. Sundar's response gives a decent workaround. I would nevertheless have the opportunity to add a few more calculated fields. I find 2 a limitations.