Question

Is there a way to report on the rules in the rules engine?

• 22 January 2016
  • 21 replies

I need to create a comprehensive report on active rules in the rules engine including what actions will result in the rule running and when the rule is scheduled. Is there a way to create such a report? I think I have to do this manually but would love it if that was not the case. 

21 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hi Sarah,

You can build such a report using the "Automated Alert Rules" object (Sample below). The trigger criteria is available, but the format is a tad hard to read.

Thanks,

Manu
Thank you, Manu!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Where is the Rule Name? I cannot find this field in the Automated Alert Rules object.  Kinda meaningless report if I cannot display the name.
Hi Jeff, I couldn't find Rule Name. I ended up making my own .xls to track our rules. It was cumbersome but worth it in the end.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Reports 2.0: Need Rule Name to be associated with Automated Alert Rules object.

Our rules database is getting difficult to keep track of, so I want to be able to run a report of all Rules that we can export.

This Community post says that the Automated Alert Rules object is the one to use, but there appears to be no 'Rule Name' field.https://community.gainsight.com/gainsight/topics/is-there-a-way-to-report-on-the-rules-in-the-rules-engine

I opened up a support ticket on this and they confirmed Rule Name is not available and the following workaround was suggested:  "For what its worth, I am in there looking at it right now and the only workaround I can see aside from creating an .xls would be if you copy and pasted the rule name to start off the description. i.e. Rule Name - Description. Still would be cumbersome though"

Cumbersome indeed.  I rather feel this to be a bug because in other objects such as Playbook, CTA, Task, the Name or Subject is available - without them you would have no idea on which instance of each you are reporting. The same should be true of every object - the field that provides the name of the object instance should be reportable.
Userlevel 5
Jeff & Sarah,

Am sorry that report on Automated Alert Rule object is not usable. The reason being, the object was modelled to store the part of rule info in a JSON and dump in a field. This was never designed to be a first class citizen in SFDC but just a bin of Rule info. The other part of the rule is stored in Action Templates where the config of each action is stored. We are planning to move the rule 

Bottomline, For better manageability of rules you would need an export of snapshot of all the active rules. On this, we have a enhancement in roadmap to export the snapshot of the active rules into a doc or HTML and send it via email. 

Will this enhancement address your requirement? 
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
If it includes the rule name, trigger criteria, setup action details and schedule, then yes.

Would there be a way to include information on calculated fields?
Userlevel 5
Yeah it would have. 

I would say the same format you see on the calc fields in verbal format will be there in the exported doc,
Userlevel 5
You have two new fields in Automated Alert rule by the name "Last Rule Updated By" & "Last Rule Updated Date" which will have the values of who modified the rule last. Let me know if that helps. 

Context - Last modified fields gets updated whenever the scheduled rule runs so that can't be used in a meaningful way.
Userlevel 5
To pave way for more robust and manageable rules we are moving the Rules definition from "AutomatedAlertRules" Object to MDA with our next release. Do you have any reports configured on this object and any other process dependent on this object?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I don't believe so.
Badge
Nope.
We do not either.
Badge
What's the status on this? I'd like to see an export also where I can see the conditions/triggers/criteria and the resulting actions that occur from each of my rules.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I don't know if it completely meets the need you're looking for Allie, but you might try testing out the Configuration Snapshot:  https://support.gainsight.com/hc/en-us/articles/235705027-Gainsight-Config-Snapshot

It does contain the rules, fields and filters, action criteria etc.  but it doesn't contain any info about the actual results from any of the rules runs.
Badge
This meets enough needs, IMO. Thanks so much Jeff!
Badge
I don't see any update here so I'm going to assume that Config Snapshot is still the best approach for auditing my rules?

Here's the updated link (Jeff's above was broken)

https://support.gainsight.com/Product_Documentation/Administration/General_Administration/Gainsight_...
Badge
Unfortunately it appears that the Snapshot does not include Bionic rules - can anyone confirm the best way to report on all rules in our Gainsight instance?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Does anyone know if there is a way to report out on Bionic Rules in lieu of Config Snapshot which still doesn't capture them?
Hi Jeff/Kate,

We are planning to capture Bionic Rules in config snapshot. It should be available soon. I will update on this post once the exact timelines are decided.

Regards,

Jitin
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
In the meantime are these available in an object from which I can generate a report?