Solved

How to setup a scorecard rule with a non-numeric question on a satisfaction survey?

• 16 November 2020
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

HI all:

Has anyone successfully setup a scorecard metric to be based on a survey response that is nont numeric in nature? So for example, we are asking folks “how likely are they to renew with us” and its not on a scale of 1-10, rather the options are:

• Very likely
  • Likely
  • Neutral
  • Unlikely
  • Very Unlikely
  • Not applicable

Any ideas/best practices on how folks make a question like this impact their Scorecard?

Thanks,

Alex

icon

Best answer by dan_ahrens 16 November 2020, 22:29

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Erseburse - It can depend on how you have your scorecard framework set up - is it Red, Yellow, Green; or numeric, or other?

At the most basic level, you could set a rule that would set the score based on the response as follows:

• Green = Very likely
  • Yellow = Likely
  • Red = Everything else

This is loosely based on the NPS and CES scoring methodology where only the most positive responses are counted as green, the leaning positive is counted as yellow (neutral), and neutral and below is considered as Red. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

thanks @dan_ahrens !

We have it set to Red, Yellow, Green. 

To help clarify- this survey is taken by multiple people in the company, so I’m wondering how would Gainsight handle it if someone in the org replied with “most likely” and someone else in the org answered “very unlikely”. Would it overwrite based on who answered most recently? Or is there a way I can take an average?

Thanks for responding. Hope that helps clarify. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

In that case what you might want to do is create an MDA table where you create a record for each survey response and convert the survey response into a score of 1 (for responses you consider green), 0 (for responses you consider neutral), -1 (for responses you consider negative).

Then you can set the score by using an average of all scores for that company within an appropriate time frame (maybe 90 days). If the average is greater than 0, set score to green; less than 0, set score to red, 0, set score to yellow. 

This is just one way to do it and would depend on how many responses you’re getting and how impactful they are determined to be in calculating the health score. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

smart, @dan_ahrens ! Thank oyu. 

Can you send me documentation on how I’d go about doing that (or something similar) and I can follow? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

If the Survey is from Gainsight, you can apply answer scoring to answers with in Survey question setup which will be available in the flattened survey table to do average by company: https://support.gainsight.com/Gainsight_NXT/06Surveys/02Admin_Guides/Survey_Design#Multiple_Choice

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Great callout @john_apple , I had forgotten about that feature. :)

@Erseburse - if you’d like hands on help with doing this, sign up for tomorrow’s admin office hours session here: 

Most weeks we have live admin office hours where Gainsight experts help you solve problems and walk you through them live. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

It’s certainly an underutilized feature @dan_ahrens 

Userlevel 1
Badge

wow, thanks everyone! @john_apple  - do you know if you can do that AFTER the fact of setting up a survey? And will the answer scale retroact to responses that have been submitted?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@dan_ahrens  - re: office hours: are those held weekly at that time? And are there other days that you offer weekly sessions?  I’d like to attend!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

They are usually held on either Tuesdays or Thursdays. You can subscribe to this Community category to get updates when new office hours sessions are held. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

wow, thanks everyone! @john_apple  - do you know if you can do that AFTER the fact of setting up a survey? And will the answer scale retroact to responses that have been submitted?

Good question - I know you can add scoring to the question after the survey is active but I don’t think it calculates on already submitted surveys