Question

How do you email internal users about customers when using SDFC/GS?

Badge
We want to email our internal users, specifically account owners, when a customer changes its stage or when a milestone is dropped. I don't think this is a current capability, but I'm curious to see how you all auto-email your internal users or your salesforce users within your organization about customer statuses?

10 replies

Badge
Allie -- there was a post over here that may give you an idea of how to do this.
Badge
Thanks Jeffrey! This is great for our internal GS users. The next problem for us is that we want to email internal SFDC users (who are not assigned CTAs). I think we'd have to create an object in SFDC on the contact, which would be Account Owner ID Email. We want to avoid doing this though and would prefer a feature request of course :) 
Badge
I can't always tell what is standard salesforce from what has been adjusted in our environment, but when I look at an object that has a lookup to Account (which is generally required for the rules engine to work anyway) then I see Account as a related object and, under that, I see Owner ID, Owner ID Email, and Owner ID Name. If you're only trying to email the Account Owner, that might be there for you. (You'd still need to make sure that email maps to a contact as well. And, yes, it would be nice to get that fixed! :-)

If that's not there for some reason, a formula field should be sufficient for this purpose... just look through the relationship to grab the correct email and use that in the rule.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
One thing to note about sending internal emails, if you want to track things like opens and clicks for internal email campaigns, you will need to have the person be a contact on the SFDC account. Otherwise, it is not possible to track this information in Gainsight.

You can still send emails to CSMs if you can pull their email into the power list. For example, we send a Past Due CTA notice to CSMs every Monday. This notifies them they have CTAs that are past due. In our power list, under select fields, it pulls in the CSM email.
Badge
Thanks Lane. Would you be able to describe what that power list criteria looks like? Or send a screenshot? I'm having trouble setting that up... Thanks again!
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Sure! Here is a screenshot of the criteria we pull into our Power List:

We don't have to specify any criteria for the contact section as this pulls CSM from the "Derive List from:" at the top. 

*Note: Account Manger = CSM for us.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Badge
Brilliant Lane! If you were at Pulse 2016, I'd hug you right now!

Three questions: 

1. Is it necessary to include the anything but deleted CTA's criteria ("Call to Action:Deleted not equal to null")? I didn't know that the system can check for deleted CTA's! Eek!
  2. Does this mean that if a CSM is assigned to 4 accounts and there is an overdue CTA for each of those 4 accounts, then the CSM will receive 4 different emails, one for each of those 4 accounts? And if so, is there a way to list out the CTAs overdue only in one copilot email, or do you think that's a good feature request?
  3. What do your copilot emails say? Are they like "here's the CTA that's overdue: [CTA name]? And if so, what is the tag map on that? And how do you put it nicely that your account managers need to get up to speed ASAP?
Let me know if you have any questions about my questions. I'm really impressed with this outreach of yours!

Allie
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
🙂 I wish I was at Pulse! Next year!

1. We include the not deleted because if it's deleted but not completed, then it fires the email off. We spent a couple weeks trying to track that one down.
  2. I do believe it fires 4 emails, one for each of the tasks. I'm not sure if there is a way to list out the CTAs. It would be a great feature request!
  3. Here is what our copy says: 
    Hey ×CSM Name

CTA "×CTA Name​" assigned to you is overdue. This CTA is for the customer ×Customer Name, with due date as ×due date​​​. You can extend the due date and update the CTA accordingly, if required.
Anything with an "x" in front of it is a tag.
Badge
Thanks! All good to know.

Just added a feature request if you're interested: https://community.gainsight.com/gainsight/topics/fire-one-bundled-email-to-csms-for-overdue-ctas
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
We wrote this up as a formal tutorial for those looking for instructions.