Solved

Can Data Designer Objects be updated through the BIonic Rules Engine?

• 27 March 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I created a Data Designer object and can now see it as an MDA object and can use it in reports.  I would like to update the contents through a bionic rule vs through scheduling the Data Designer job to run.  Is that possible?  When I go into the Rule ‘Permissions - Rule Load Objects’ and select MDA, I do not see my Data Designer table in the drop down in order to add it.  So it appears I cannot update it through a bionic rule, is that true?

icon

Best answer by rakesh 28 March 2020, 09:14

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi Mary,

Yes, these MDA objects(Data spaces) cannot be updated by a rule. 

Can you please share more details on the design you created and why you’d want a rule to update it instead of scheduling a design? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Rakesh,  I was just trying to understand the limitations of the DD objects.

One use case I can think of is if I created a DD object that has some meta data columns and then 12 months of usage data  (Jan 2020 - Dec 2020).  Assume that current month usage changes daily.  Instead of running the Design job in DD to pull in all 12 months of data every night I could create the initial table with the months of data we have to date, and then use a rule to just populate the current month usage every night.  That may perform better.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

That makes sense Mary.

Unfortunately, the technologies we used do not allow us to directly extend this functionality. Having said that, we will keep it on our radar for the longer-term horizon.