Question

Best Practice for Rolling up Opportunity Dates to Customer Info Object

• 19 April 2016
  • 7 replies

We're having issues rolling up date information (renewal date, churn date, subscription start date) from an Opportunity level to an Account level. Our Salesforce system keeps much of our transactional detail in the opportunity level, but we'd like some visibility of upcoming renewal dates and churn dates at an account level. What is the best practice around this?

Our Salesforce Admin is concerned about losing visibility and detail when dates are close together and would rather have us refer to the opportunity level when looking at upcoming churn or upcoming renewals. Is there a way to integrate Gainsight at an opportunity level? Or a best practice around rolling up multiple important dates to an opportunity level?

7 replies

Badge +3
A couple of thoughts:

1.  For visibility, You could include a view as a section on your customer 360 page showing your upcoming renewals.

2.  You could create multiple custom fields on the Customer Info object for these key dates and use rules to populate those date fields, e.g. min "close date" of all open renewal opportunities, max "close date" of a renewal closed lost/Churned.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Elise,

Here's how we have things set up:

• In "Setup Rule", pull together the Opportunities you want to refer to, and use aggregation functions like "Max" to get the single value for each Account that you want to put into Customer Info (screenshot: http://cl.ly/3I1B2b3i2v0Z)
  • In "Setup Action", use a Load to Customers action to load those values into fields (http://cl.ly/3G0s2D2A2n0a)
Thanks Denise!! I'll take both suggestions to my team to see what they think. The View option sounds like it might work for detail, and the second option sounds like a good plan for high level reporting.
Thanks Seth. Question... did you guys have any concern about just being able to look at one date at a time for your rollup at an account level? Sometimes we have opportunities that renew within a short time period of each other and want to maintain visibility of those types of situations. Was that a concern for your situation at all?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Elise,

That wasn't really a concern of ours. Each one of our customers only has one open opportunity at a time, and they renew once a year or less often.
Got it, thanks Seth!!
Hi Elise, we created a Renewal Date in the Summary section and then have our rules engine populating that with the "Service End Date" date on the Opportunity page