Question

REPORTS: Multiple records for the same relationship

Badge
Good Morning-

I'm working on some reports for our SVP and am running into an issue that I've seen before and am not quite sure how to fix. When I run the report I'm seeing multiple of the exact same record populate.

Example:

ABC Co.

ABC Co.

ABC Co.

ABC Co.

ABC Co.

ABC Co.

XYZ Co.

XYZ Co.

XYZ Co.

XYZ Co.

XYZ Co.

XYZ Co.

I'm getting six records with the exact same data, save one piece: their GSID.

What would be causing this?

Thanks

-Jim

11 replies

Badge
Hi James,

This usually happens to me if I am reporting or fetching data from the User level rather than the account level. In other words, if you have a row for each user in the MDA table, and each row has the Account Name column, with same value. It would return the account name for each contact in the MDA. Which is similar to what you have listed above.

I'm not sure what object you are reporting from or how the source is structured to provide a better answer though.

Depending on your report structure, you could add a count distinct or change the filters so that you are pulling from the account level rather than a user or contract or opp level.

Badge
Hi Hanmeet-

Thank you for the information. The report I'm referencing is built off of a custom MDA table that I've loaded all relevant information into. These data points include:

Account Name

Opportunity Name

CSM Name

Opportunity Type

Opportunity Close Date

Current Amount

Start Date

Products Purchased

Overall Health Score

Renewal Probability

Auto-Renew Eligable

Date of last Timeline Entry

Count of Open CTAs

Count of Overdue CTAs

Is there an Executive Sponsor Present

Do you have a reliable Day-to-Day Contact

Latest NPS Score

These data points are loaded in from their respective MDA or Salesforce database tables.

I attempted Count Distinct and just got a weird summation of all the data.

Reports won't let me just put Count Distinct on the Account Name Show Me field.

Thanks

-Jim

Badge
Ahh okay sorry, wasn't sure you were returning more information than just the Account Name.

What kind of filters do you have setup for this report?

You could also add a group by option? If you group by the Account Name, then you'd only return 1 value for the Account, and have all the other values grouped together under that Account name.

Badge
Manmeet-

No need to apologize! The filters that I have are:

Relationship Status = Active

Lifecycle Stage != Churned

I just attempted to group by Account Name and received an error "You cannot add more than 10 fields to "Show me:"

I reduced the number of fields to 10, and then to 9 and received the same error.

Thanks

-Jim

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
If you are ingesting your data periodically, you may also want to check some of your insert/upsert criteria and data update rules as you could be just inserting records instead of upserting..

Also, if you need to count records in an object I sometimes use a count distinct on the GSID as long as all records in the object are statistically relevant.

Badge
Thanks Keith.

I just checked all the ingest rules (they run daily) and all the actions are set to Upsert.

I'm not sure if GSID is the best way to Count Distinct, as there is a different GSID for each record that is displayed for one relationship (i.e. all 6 records for XYZ Co. share identical data EXCEPT the GSID)

Thanks

-Jim

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
@james_whitehead I've validated this use-case in my local org, I am able to add 10 fields. If you still see the issue could you please share a screenshot for better understanding.

Badge
Hi Sai-

Thanks for getting back to me. It must have been an intermittent glitch because it's grouping by account name now. I will update if I see it again.

-Jim

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
@james_whitehead Have you figured out why this is happening? If you are still facing problems with this there might be a glitch in the data setup/processing. I recommend you contact our support team. They might be able to help you figure out the root cause.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi James, you mentioned that this is a custom MDA table. Which source object are you pulling the GSID from? The GSID just refers to a unique identifier in a given object, and does not necessarily mean the Company ID. It could be the unique identifer from any of the source objects.

To see what is causing this, you can browse the data table directly in data management and set the filter to show all columns and filter on "ABC Company" for example. Then you'll see the data in each row and see what is unique about the data from one row to the other.

@james_whitehead did you get a chance to view the comments by @dan_ahrens