Solved

Lookup on dataset created from data designer?

• 26 November 2019
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I have created a dataset from data designer with it to be permanent and update daily. I want to add to a dashboard and have a global filter applied from the Company object since the other reports on the dashboard pull from that object.

Is this possible?

icon

Best answer by rakesh 24 March 2020, 10:20

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi @andreammelde,

It should already be possible to add a dataspace based report to Global Filter for most fields in dataspace. However, we do not automatically understand mappings information yet (=> This is a work in progress item) and hence there should be a challenge adding Company Name, User Name, Account Name fields to the global filter. Without propagating this mapping information, a special field such as Company Name becomes a text. We are working on it internally and expect to ship this relatively soon. 

Badge +1

Hi @rakesh! Any update on the timing of this, particularly the user level data? It’d be great to have this functionality or a way for us to map manually - we are trying to expose a data designer report in the CSM’s My Dashboard that’s filtered for their name. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@acote

This is released and is in production. 

Whenever you bring in a field such as User Name, also bring User Id till the last dataset.  We understand that you want mapping (our mechanism to identify special fields) and will treat that user name field as a special user field that can be used in global filter and report filters. 

Badge +1

Great - thanks for the update, @rakesh. I will take a look!

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@rakesh  will this work if we also bring in the company ID? or CSM id?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

figured it out! thank you for implementing!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I believe some of this is solved but is it still not possible to create a lookup from the Company Object to a Data Designer Dataspace?  This would be immensely useful and solve a lot of issues we have, especially with the primary use-case here.  

Please advise or link to any documentation on this update so I can re-review :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@keith_mattes were you able to figure this out? @rakesh is this possible? I have a data designer data space which has the Company object GSID, but when making a report it doesn’t create the necessary lookup to the company object. Is there a way to do this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

When merging in DD, from the company object I included the CaseSafeID, GSID, Account Name, CSM GSID, CSM SFDC ID  and was able to associate them with global filters, although it was only with reports based on that object, the “Account Name” field was a link to the C360 so I presume it will also work when using these reports embedded in a C360 section as well.

tl:dr @jlicciardello , I think the key to your ask might be the “Account Name” field

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@jlicciardello and @keith_mattes workaround for adding lookup directly to a dataset.

Create a custom object and then have a rule upsert to the custom object. You can add a lookup on the custom object fields and then report from there. 

It would be a much better experience however to add a lookup directly in a dataset like you are able to in a custom object

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

A clever workaround! Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@rakesh I think I’m running into this issue that you said is resolved -- could you maybe assist with where I’m going wrong?

1. I created a dataset in Data Designer and am bringing in CSM Name and CSM GSID (along with other fields)
  1. When I am in Explore and create a a Report in Data Designer, I see CSM GSID as an ID. 
  2. When I save the Report and Publish it to Report Builder, I now see CSM GSID as Text. This is causing me to be unable to include it in the global filter on the dashboard that looks at CSM GSID.

What might I be doing wrong?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yeah same thing here @rakesh is this not working correctly? Thanks!

Badge +4

@rakesh Can you please update your response to this thread if bringing through the Name and GSID for mapping is no longer working?  It did have me chasing down a unusable approach to my design.  Thanks!

Userlevel 1

Hi ,

This should work as expected if users select CSM GSID from nested fields  section instead directly selecting from the CSM look up. This  has been the behaviour  from the start and changing this now will  have backward compatibility.

Scenario 1 (CSM ID will be a text field in Reports)

Scenario 2 -( CSM ID will be an ID field)

As you see below, when CSM GSIS was selected from the nested fields section it appeared as a ID in reports but when it was selected directly from the CSM look up, it appeared as a text field 

Do let us know if you still have  some concern(s)

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is sort of solved but it would still be RAD if the MDA objects created by Data Designers allowed lookups to be created, so that you could use lookups when reporting on those objects. Even when you look at them in Data Management, they have the column for lookup (which you can’t edit) staring tantalizingly at you like a forbidden data fruit.

Badge

Appreciate the potential workarounds but +1 for a cleaner solution!