Solved

Increase Alias Limit on Reports

• 15 October 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

We recently onboarded 15 new CSMs onto Gainsight. A step in the implementation is updating applicable reports/dashboards. I have discovered that the new CSMs put us over the threshold of allowable configured aliases. 

The message provided is: Aliases can only be configured for fields with 30 or less distinct values.

Unfortunately, all I get is this message and I no longer have access to the alias list. This means that the folks who already had an alias are stuck with the alias they had and the new folks don’t get an alias at all.

Is it possible to increase the limit of distinct values? And is it possible for admins to retain access to the alias list for the allowable quantity?

icon

Best answer by jean.nairon 17 October 2020, 03:07

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @jochle can you share a bit more about the report you are trying to build that requires that many aliases? There might be a way to get the data you want without having to create all of those custom aliases which are difficult to maintain long term.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @dan_ahrens , We have a heat map that lists the health score by week/month for each CSM so we can see trends. We are grouping by CSM, but what people aren’t familiar with is their segment. So we create aliases to add in the segment next to the CSM name. John Doe is now John Doe - TT (for tech touch). Its just easier to see everyone in one report with associated segment rather than having to use a global filter for manager/segment (which we have). 

If we say we’re not going to do it that way, we will still need access to the alias list so we can change some of the aliases back to just names.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

That’s a cool use case. You might be able to add a field to the company that shows “CSM Name + Segment”. I would use a calculated field instead of aliases so that your not using up aliases. It will be a much more stable and won’t depend on using aliases. Plus the calculated field will adjust if ever the CSM or Segment changes. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Definitely agreed with @jean.nairon ‘s solution as it’s far more scalable and doesn’t rely on manual effort to maintain the alias list. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That’s fair. We don’t anticipate many changes, but I’m sure they will occur. Obviously it is easy to garner technical debt and I was hoping not to keep creating fields with a single purpose/blowing out the build on the company object. But you make good points. I’ll add it to the road map and see if management agrees its a good use of time.

Also - any recommendations for updating the alias list now that we’re over the threshold? Appears its not available anymore.

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Unfortunately if you’ve hit the alias limit there isn’t much you can do. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Okay. I guess I could start from scratch and remove the current one where the aliases are locked out.