How to Correctly Import Your Managers and Build a Manager Dashboard

• 23 March 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

A common question we get during our Office Hours sessions is how to properly import manager lookups into Gainsight. This is important to get right in order to be able to set up CSM Manager dashboards, use Manager emails for Journey Orchestrator Programs, and much more. 

Here is a ~10-minute video tutorial I recorded that explains the process of how to import and/or create your manager lookups, where to find that information in Gainsight, and how to set up global filters based on them. 

Some important things to know: 

• Setting up a Manager ID filter will be a little different depending on which version of Gainsight you’re using.
    • If you’re using NXT (like I do in my tutorial), all of your reports will be built on the MDA, so it’s pretty easy. Just choose the GSID nested under the Manager lookup for the CSM (or whichever lookup field is appropriate). 
    • If you’re on SFDC version and have reports on your dashboard that are using SFDC data as a source object and MDA data too, then you’ll want to use the SFDC User ID nested under the Manager lookup, rather than the GSID. You’ll also need to have the Manager ID visible in SFDC, either on the Account or Customer Info object, so that you can match it to the MDA data. 
  • The Manager ID is a self-lookup to the User object. This is pretty slick because it means you don’t have to do anything special with getting your managers populated in a certain object like you might’ve had to do in Salesforce or other CRMs. i.e. as long as you have access to the CSM field, you have access to the Manager ID, which then has a join to that Manager’s attributes (check out the 3:30 mark for more information on this).
  • If you don’t have your Manager lookups all set up already in your CRM, don’t fret! You’ll need to import your users into Gainsight’s User object anyway, and once there, you can easily populate or change the Manager ID. See the 9:38 mark of the above video to learn more. 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@spencer_engel Thanks for posting it here!