Solved

Export to CSV File Size Failure

• 13 December 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge
Hi - I'm struggling to export a report on email activity spanning several months. I can run the report just fine, but when I get to export, I get a failure message. I've figured out that it's failing due to file size (not that the message is explicit). Is there any way to know when the file size is too big? The message when I execute the export looks like a confirmation, but then the report itself fails. It's been really frustrating to change the criteria, run the report, wait to see if it will go through, rinse and repeat until I get a report I can open.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,

Elizabeth

icon

Best answer by rakesh 14 December 2018, 09:57

View original

6 replies

Sorry to hear this Elizabeth. If your requirement is to export a report with loads of data, you can rather configure a Bionic rule exactly like a report (unless you are using reporting specific capabilities) and try exporting the rule which will deliver you an email with S3 link to CSV file.

Thanks,

Jeevan

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hi Elizabeth,

Export to CSV option in report exports up to 100,000 records only(by default). Email servers typically have an attachment file size limit (Gmail 25 MB, Outlook 20 MB) because of which we have to limit capabilities of Export to CSV. Estimating this size is extremely tricky depending on the number of fields, presence of long text fields, etc. We do not know if the export is going to get failed at the time of requesting export.

Does this problem only happens with Email Activity or with other reports also? Is this export required for Gainsight Admins or end users? Can you share some more use-cases around exports? We are currently evolving our data export strategy and your responses will be extremely helpful.

In today's product, as Jeevan suggested above, we recommend using Rules engine for data exports. Not only does rules engine has fewer limitations, but also it is built for such use-cases.

Hi there,

I would love to see a pop up that says that exporting to CSV via email gets cut off at 100,000 records (or email maximum, whichever comes first). The current pop up says “to see the entire dataset, export to email” (paraphrased) so this leads me to believe I will see my entire export in email. I had NO idea I was missing data, who knows how many exports from my email were incomplete. I can’t even see how many rows are supposed to appear in the dataset (to know how much got cut off) as that isn’t even given to me in the report dashboard. A pop up NEEDS to be shown or the current pop up NEEDS to be edited for that clarity. 

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there,

I would love to see a pop up that says that exporting to CSV via email gets cut off at 100,000 records (or email maximum, whichever comes first). The current pop up says “to see the entire dataset, export to email” (paraphrased) so this leads me to believe I will see my entire export in email. I had NO idea I was missing data, who knows how many exports from my email were incomplete. I can’t even see how many rows are supposed to appear in the dataset (to know how much got cut off) as that isn’t even given to me in the report dashboard. A pop up NEEDS to be shown or the current pop up NEEDS to be edited for that clarity. 

Thanks.

@leahpinault I think if the alert is going to be effective it needs to tell you the number of rows and the size that the export would be, especially if it failed. It’s great you can export via an S3 rule but configuring that is pretty cumbersome on exporting a report. I would like the alert to tell me the total size in row and MB as I might be able to trim my report to do a simple export, or break it into defined sections if I don’t want to leverage rules. @sai_ram should we convert this to a request or open up a new thread as this is currently a question?

Edit: Just saw there was also a request here: 

Hi there,

Thanks.

@leahpinault I think if the alert is going to be effective it needs to tell you the number of rows and the size that the export would be, especially if it failed. It’s great you can export via an S3 rule but configuring that is pretty cumbersome on exporting a report. I would like the alert to tell me the total size in row and MB as I might be able to trim my report to do a simple export, or break it into defined sections if I don’t want to leverage rules. @sai_ram should we convert this to a request or open up a new thread as this is currently a question?

Edit: Just saw there was also a request here: 

@bradley completely agree with everything you just said! and yes, my first time posting so realized after the fact that I should submit a new request as well! If you can get your team to upvote / add your comments to it that would be great, thank you.

Badge

Hey folks. Our exports are consistently cut off at 10,000 records, not 100,000. Is anyone able to confirm that they can export 100,000 records to CSV using PX?