Solved

CSM's manager dashboard

• 27 September 2019
  • 8 replies

I am trying to create CSM's Manager dashboard that will shows CTA's owned by their direct report CSM.

CSM is captured as lookup user field on every account in salesforce and mapped using derived fields to the company object. This was setup during implementation and works perfectly. What I am trying to do now is get the CSM's Manager added as well, so that manager dashboard filters can be added automatically.

I tried the derived field and no luck getting the data to sync over. Any ideas how to get this working.

Instead of creating a new user lookup field on the account object in salesforce, I created a formula field to get the Manager SF ID from the CSM User lookup field. Mapped this as the derived field using gainsight connect.

I tried the derived field and no luck getting the data to sync over. Any ideas how to get this working. Check the screenshots below.

Also we call CSM as CSA!

CSA Manager field on company object (MDA)

Custom fields on the Account object in Salesforce.

Gainsight Connect mapping

No Data after the sync.

What am i doing wrong.

icon

Best answer by kendra_mcclanahan 28 September 2019, 00:23

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Have you considered populating this data with a daily rule instead? We leverage an employee hierarchy similar to what you have described and for infrequently updated data, daily updates meet our user requirements and rules match that need. Just a thought.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Should your data type be SFDC ID instead of GS ID? We added CSM Manager to our process before GS Connect, so we did it a little differently by creating a CSM Manager field on the Customer Info object that we then use a similar look up to populate.

Badge +3
Hey @leslie_mendonca– have you tried adding a lookup field to the User object as opposed to the Company object?

This is how it's setup in our GS instance and it works great for exactly what you're working on with manager Dashboards.

On the Standard User Object, we added a field for Manager SFDC ID:

Here's what the config looks like for the field:

**The lookup to User object is what will bring in the CSM/CSA manager's user details

Then you can map fields in Gainsight Connect and details will populate with regularly scheduled jobs:

In reports, you'll see the secondary drop-down like other MDA joins:

And then you can also configure dashboard filters using that field or any of the details from the lookup back to User:

Hope this helps :)

Badge +3
Actually, looking at your screenshots, what might be causing the miss is that you're mapping an SFDC ID to a GSID, might work just as you have it if you change the lookup config to map to SFDC User ID as opposed to the GSID.

Badge +6
Hey Leslie - this might be a great topic for our admin office hours session on 10/1 if you can make it - link here with more info.

In the User object in MDA - I think the issue is that you are loading an SFDC ID to a Gainsight ID, which are different data types. If you switch your field to SFDC User ID vs. GSID - that might help. I'd have to look more closely tho to know for sure.

In Salesforce, we had originally went the Formula field lookup option as well but realized that doesn't give us a dynamic list where the manager can search for their name - instead it's the ID. As Keith mentioned too, we ended up creating a rule that pulls from the User object and merges to the Account object (merging on CSM ID). It can still be the SFDC User ID - but the field needs to be a lookup field to user vs. a formula. That might be a terrible description so I included a screenshot of the rule too below :-)

Hope this helps & the admin office hours is a great way to get additional ideas from the team!

Pele,

Thanks for you reply. We already have a manager field on the user object. It behaves correctly. What I am trying to do here is find the manager for the CSM field on the account not the account owner. Hope that makes sense.

@kendra_mcclanahan - Yeah, I was thinking of going the rule route, but wanted to make sure there wasn't a simplier path I was missing. I am going to write up the rule and schedule it to run hourly. Thank you all for the insight.

Badge +3
Totally makes sense 🙂 The steps I posted above are to add the CSM's Mananger as a lookup field and not an additional field to add the Account Manager. Sorry that wasn't totally clear.