Product Mapping via API

Related products: PX Product Mapper

I have been speaking with a customer today who has some feedback on being able to register and manipulate Product Mapping via the API.

I wanted to share the feedback here for some visibility and feedback form the team:

As a developer I believe it would be beneficial to be able to register and manipulate Product Mapping via the API. This would provide teams like mine with more robust capabilities to insert the setup of instrumentation into our developer workflow, instead of leaving it to a manual process after development.

Because we are using custom `data-*` attributes to tag the elements in our UI we want to track, as well as assigning them unique values based on context, we don't have the same need to test selectors via the manual product mapping tool due to our ability to use very specific selectors that are structure agnostic with respect to the rest of the HTML in our app. I'm trying to enable a capability somewhat akin to database migration strategies where we can define declarative and idempotent mapping rules that can be run with our application deployments in an automated manner.

So, I believe exposing the elements of the Product Mapper via the supported API would enable more advanced integrations for teams like mine and enable us to instrument our application more robustly and completely than the manual process enables.

Please share any thoughts and feedback.

-Thanks

Thank you for the feedback!

Gainsight PX offers custom event API where you can pass both named events and dynamic properties based on runtime values. https://support.gainsight.com/PX/API/04Use_Custom_Event_API

In case you want these events to be mapped into features automatically - please ask your client outcome manager to enable that settings in your subscription. PX can automatically create features in your product tree out of custom events.

@mickey that is definitely something I will look into. I’m not sure that would completely address the use case I have in mind. I’d eventually like to be able to manage the product mapping in much the same way I would database schema changes with a declarative mechanism. This requires me to be able to check the state of the existing product map and then comparing that to a desired state for the map. This allows for both additional and removal to be automated and place into the developer’s normal workflow.

With regard to the automatically creating features in the product tree from custom events, is there additional documentation around the capability? Would the custom event properties be able to represent the arbitrary structure of nested modules and features to ensure we can maintain our product map in an orderly fashion?

I did locate a suitable endpoint in the API to get at least part of the Product Map structure. I can now easily inspect the Module & Feature tree, but I have not visibility into any events already defined for the Product Map from what I can tell. This will make part of the automation work I am trying to do easier, but it still leaves gaps that require UI-based interaction.

@mickey that is definitely something I will look into. I’m not sure that would completely address the use case I have in mind. I’d eventually like to be able to manage the product mapping in much the same way I would database schema changes with a declarative mechanism. This requires me to be able to check the state of the existing product map and then comparing that to a desired state for the map. This allows for both additional and removal to be automated and place into the developer’s normal workflow.

With regard to the automatically creating features in the product tree from custom events, is there additional documentation around the capability? Would the custom event properties be able to represent the arbitrary structure of nested modules and features to ensure we can maintain our product map in an orderly fashion?

We have a large number of different functions (1,000+) that we have manually built into a structure. This was quite an arduous process and keeping this updated when new functions come in, function names are changed or changing the hierarchy are not processes that are easy to manage through the UI.

Working on individual functions through the API is a start, but we really need some more bulk options to manage the Product Mapper.

Alternatively to have the ability to export the current state of the Product Mapper, manipulate that in something like excel and then re-import to action changes would be a good compromise.