How to prioritize product areas to improve for new users

• 8 November 2019
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 5

I have a relatively simple use case to share. It seems obvious, but we hadn’t yet used PX analytics this way, so I thought I’d share!

Every quarter, our product team has many features/improvements they could work on, but it’s not exactly simple for our customer success team to prioritize which ones are important to current users. (I’m sure no one can relate to that, right?!) 

One of our goals is to increase user retention after the first visit. It’s important to delight the user during those first few visits! 

So I took the liberty of surfacing the top features that new users engage in during their first ~30 days. My thought was that if we can identify which features new users commonly engage in during their first visits, we can effectively justify investing development time into wow-ing them :sunglasses:

Question: Among a cohort of new users, which features were used the most and how often?

Here’s what I did: 

Analytics > Features > Adoption

• Measure by Events > Grouped by Features
  • Filter:
    • Users > Signed up between 1/1/19 - 1/31/19
  • ​​​​​​​Timeframe: 1/1/19 - 1/31/19

Path Analyzer

• Filter:
    • ​​​​​​​Users > Signed up between 1/1/19 - 1/31/19
  • ​​​​​​​Timeframe: 1/1/19 - 1/31/19

That’s the timeframe I used, which could be adjusted of course.

This helped highlight some features and workflows that users are engaging in early on in their journey, even if they’re just exploring. A few of these features have improvements in the backlog, and having this data helps prioritize what to work on for next time! 

1 reply

Badge +2

very cool, thanks for sharing Julie!