Guide engagement with dynamic / conditional elements?

Related products: PX Engagements

I’m creating a dialog guide-style engagement to walkthrough a reporting feature. It works fine in accounts that have reporting data in them, but in new accounts without any data, many of the elements that I have steps for are not present. In that case, when the user clicks “Next”, PX looks for the next element, can’t find it, and the tour just stops. Is there a way to have PX go to the next element that it *can* find, instead of just stopping?

So as a workaround I inserted an “Intro” step in the very beginning that is linked to one of the elements that only appears when the account has data. That way, the engagement never shows if the account doesn’t have any data. Still, it would be nice if we had control over the behavior when the next element can’t be found. Maybe options to wait for it, end the engagement, or skip to the next step that can be found.

Nice workaround @acheslow! I agree that having an “auto-skip” to next “available” step would be pretty nice.  Thanks for sharing your findings with our Community!

Hi @acheslow 

This is a great use case for the segmented guide based on the user’s context. It would be great to have 2 set of engagements relevant and targeted to both Group/Types of Accounts- Has Data and doesn’t have data. This can be passed to PX as an account attribute.

Let me know what you think.

Hi @harshibanka thanks for the idea. I think we would have to do some dev work to expose that as an attribute to PX so it wouldn’t be ideal for us. Maybe helpful to someone else though, so thanks.

This is a pretty critical issue in our workflows. I also think this should not be marked as “resolved” as a workaround that doesn’t show the engagement is not really a resolution.

This conditional stepping is a standard feature in several other workflow tools on the market. It is something that is necessary for complex system navigation like our web tools.

This is a pretty critical issue in our workflows. I also think this should not be marked as “resolved” as a workaround that doesn’t show the engagement is not really a resolution.

This conditional stepping is a standard feature in several other workflow tools on the market. It is something that is necessary for complex system navigation like our web tools.

@JPKelliher changed this to feature request.

I agree this is pretty standard feature 

Also - same but a bit different - if the next step was already taken, skip it and not present it 

For example, If the next step is click on a radio button, but it is already selected from some reason, do not show this step, and move to next 

Otherwise it looks a bit stupid that We have step where the user does not have to do anything 
Thanks 

Posting this similar request for visibility: 

We have the same problem. Some guides require that there is already data, otherwise the guide won't work. The ideal solution is to have conditional rules for guides/steps. So for example: 
1. Start guide (click from Knowledge Bot)
2.a If element x found, show Engagement A
2.b If element x NOT found, show Engagement B

In engagement B, we would then first show the user how to complete the steps to be able to view engagement A.

Hey @Tamarar - great news: PX just launched a skippable step feature last month! You can check out the details here

Hey @Tamarar - great news: PX just launched a skippable step feature last month! You can check out the details here

Yeah that doesn't fix it.

Hi @Tamarar 

Hey @Tamarar - great news: PX just launched a skippable step feature last month! You can check out the details here

Yeah that doesn't fix it.

If you could let us know what exact use-case of yours dint get fixed by the skippable feature that was launched? 

I will add use cases that aren’t covered with the skippable feature and suggest alternatives. In our app, users can connect machines they own. The contents of the various tabs we have change based on whether users have connected machines or not. The engagements walk them through this dynamic content, using tooltips.

UC1: Engagement should be triggered automatically on a given URL only if our users has currently connected a node. We have no event from the front end to tell us that this specific page shows a connected node at this precise instance. So we should be able to trigger an engagement only if a specific element appears on the page (identified via the options available to link a tooltip to an element). We are already doing that by having a tooltip as the first step, which means that we constantly receive errors when they can’t be triggered. Not that serious, we can live with it.

UC2: The same engagement that is triggered automatically when a node is connected should be available to launch via the KC Bot. The workaround above doesn’t help, so we are obligated to add an extra step in the beginning, warning users that they need to be viewing a specific tab that has a specific element on it. If they ignore the warning, we end up getting errors. 

We don’t want to skip any step. Almost the entire engagement is tooltips on conditionally appearing elements, so that would make our guide pointless. Now that I know about the skippable steps though, I believe that there’s a simple solution to this that doesn’t involve branching.

“Skippable” does the following:

When the mapped element for a specific step is missing, Gainsight PX waits for the element to appear until the specified time. If the element is not found, the application skips the step and continues to display subsequent steps in the engagement.

Similarly, “Exception Handler” should be able to do the following:

When the mapped element for an “Exception Handler” step is missing, Gainsight PX waits for the element to appear until the specified time. If the element is not found, the application presents this specific step. 

Perhaps also add the possibility for the Exception Handler to continue with the rest of the engagement using skippable steps or to become the last step of the engagement.

I will add one more UC for conditional steps, which may be applicable to more people:

When launching an engagement from the KC Bot, we want the first step to be conditional on the URL, because people may not be in the right place. Creating multiple KC Bots, each one with its own URL rules isn’t a solution to this. Since there is no support for conditions, for every engagement that needs such a check I have had to:

• Have two copies of the same engagement, one only Automatically triggered, the other only via the KC Bot
  • On the KC Bot launched engagement, add a first step with a very visible caution to the users regarding where they should be in the app (URL) and what they should be seeing (elements). 

No StatusImplemented

I will add one more UC for conditional steps, which may be applicable to more people:

When launching an engagement from the KC Bot, we want the first step to be conditional on the URL, because people may not be in the right place. Creating multiple KC Bots, each one with its own URL rules isn’t a solution to this. Since there is no support for conditions, for every engagement that needs such a check I have had to:

• Have two copies of the same engagement, one only Automatically triggered, the other only via the KC Bot
  • On the KC Bot launched engagement, add a first step with a very visible caution to the users regarding where they should be in the app (URL) and what they should be seeing (elements). 

I have a similar case, for some cases, i can set within the bot the URL i want to redirect the user in order to properly see the engagements, this is an existing setting. But some pages have unique URL (each project for that matter), so i cannot redirect the user to a Project in that case since i dont know it’s unique URL. I see that this thread is opened a year ago.. is there some solution or workaround these days ?