Solved

Sandbox Environment for new Custom Events

I’ve been wondering is there some sort of “sandbox environment” for Custom Events where they would appear for pre-approval before letting them land on the product in production?

We have 10+ Product Managers and 10+ dev teams working on our product and we are often experiencing some minor mistakes in the implementation of the Custom Events from their side. It would be useful to have some “buffer” zone where the events would land and which PX admin could approve as correctly implemented.

icon

Best answer by angelo 6 May 2020, 18:05

View original

6 replies

Each PX subscription has multi-product support and each product exposes a unique key per each of the following environments:

• Production (AP-XXXXXXXXXXXXX-2)
  • Stage (AP-XXXXXXXXXXXXX-2-2)
  • QA (AP-XXXXXXXXXXXXX-2-3)
  • Integration (AP-XXXXXXXXXXXXX-2-4)

When submitting custom events via client side PX SDK, the Custom Event will be associated with the respective environment. The recommended way of testing (buffer) Custom Events for mistakes would be to submit the CE’s under a test environment. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@angelo is spot on!  When your team @bostojic creates the actual test Custom Events they should do so in non-production environment and then only start making those Custom Event calls in Production when they are ready. 

However, within a single PX Product, all Custom Events across all Environments within that PX Product are visible in filters even if those actual Custom Events have not been used in the selected PX Product Environment.  See example below:

The only current way to NOT see these “test” Custom Events in the filtering options would be to use a separate PX Product entirely.

So the reason why I don’t see in Product Mapper an option to chose Environment is because we didn’t implement any Custom Event with other than PRoduction API key?

I’ve read this article but it doesn’t mention Custom Events in the context of the environments.

https://support.gainsight.com/PX/Engagements/01On-boarding/Gainsight_PX_Environment_Settings

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@bostojic There is currently only one PX Product Map per PX Product, which applies across all environments within the PX Product.

To be clear, there is a separate PX Product Map for “Web App” and “Mobile”, but all environments will use the their respective single PX Product Map.

@link_black  Ok, got it. Thanks for the info guys.

We’ll go with the 2 PX Products then - one for testing purposes and another for Production.

I’d just want to add that this doesn’t completely solve our problem because there are still occurrences when some devs deploy new Custom Events on the production without prior getting an approval.

You could consider developing a feature, a buffer zone, that would give users with admin rights the ability to check new Custom Events and whitelist them (pass them through to Product) or block/delete them. That would greatly help us better manage new custom events.