PX Data Loader- A quick how to use video

• 11 September 2019
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share a quick video (6 mins.) about how to use the PX Data Loader. I think this will make it easier to understand the use case, but more importantly, how to quickly get it set up and used.

The PX data loader and PX REST API help you bring in User, Account, or Custom Event data into the PX application. The data could be historical or from other usage tracking apps. Then, you can see the data in PX’s Adoption Explorer. Customer data can be used to target your engagements more accurately, or for deeper insights and analytics.

This article will also help you get started with the data loader.

Hope this helps!

Christopher

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
This is great and easy to understand, thanks @christopher_sanderson for your efforts

Badge +2
Hey @christopher_sanderson , thanks for sharing this, super helpful, already shared it with a customer who was looking to do this!

Badge

Hi,

I’ve been using the data loader for several custom attributes updates and and it’s great! However - I am now trying to update a field in the USER records and I get the following error (Cleaned up the API Key):

Row: 75 Error 403 : '{"externalapierror":{"status":"FORBIDDEN","timestamp":"08-03-2020 12:15:48","message":null,"debugMessage":null,"subErrors":null}}' on {"identifyId": "5c095f40f880c4000d1d286f", "customAttributes": {"Champion": "true"}, "propertyKeys": ["AP-XXXXXX-2"], "accountId": "5b17ed0395ed76000d52ff77"}

My config JSON looks like this:

{

"apiKey" : "XXXXXX",

"productKey" : "AP-XXXXXX-2",

"fieldMapping" : {

"USER" : {

"identifyId" : "Identify Id",

"accountId" : "Account ID",

"customAttributes.Champion": "Champion"

}

}

}

These are the same API Key and Product Key i’ve been using to update ACCOUNTS and it worked. Any idea? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I am not sure if you figured this one out, but it looks like your JSON may be at fault.  However, I think the error message could be better from our side. :(

Badge

Hi,

I figured this out. The problem was that the API key which I created initially was only allowed to update accounts (I wanted to ensure I dont mess with user records). So - I created a new API Key which is allowed to update users as well and use it. 

And yes - the error message could be better :)

Badge

@christopher_sanderson  Thank you so much for the video. We have done a lot of work with this throughout this past year. 

As we need to do this on an almost daily basis, is there a way to automate this and pull the .csv file from and STP site? Or do you have any other recommendations?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@christopher_sanderson and @link_black 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@JPKelliher Thank you for watching and raising your query here. 

I’m new to PX. Instead of using the event capture in the instrumented applications (Javascript event handler), what would be the best way to bulk load the engagement data for PX analytics from another data source into PX on an ongoing basis?  Can the PX data loader be used to do that? I did not see a PX REST API for doing that yet.  It appears the typical use case for the PX bulk data loader is designed more around accounts and custom events, not the engagement activity data.

Also, since the bulk data loader is written in Python, can it run on Linux instead of Mac or Windows?

Badge

@ccottrel, thank you for bringing this up. This is similar to the question I asked a few months back but we have not gotten a reply just yet. Hoping ot hear soon. 

We are trying to limit the data exposed to the browser and send over PII using the data loader, but we have yet to figure out how to automate this. :-(