Solved

How to map a single set of UI features to 3 different modules

• 30 March 2020
  • 3 replies

I’ve mapped a section of our product as you can see below.
This section works under 3 different contexts, each served by our SPA under a different URL path.
We can call them:
1. Category
2. Instance
3. Sub-instance

The features are currently mapped using selectors.
I’ve set up a global context that differentiates the 3 context levels.

Now, the PM requires that the hierarchical structure (modules and features) will be separate for the 3 different contexts.
In other words, instead of Drill Down, I’d have three copies of this tree named, Category, Instance and Sub-Instance.

I can use the different URLs to map each feature to the relevant context. However, I’d need to set up 3 distinct copies of this module/feature tree. I’m especially concerned about the fact that any future changes in the configuration would need to be maintained across these 3 copies, something that is bound to break.

I’m looking for a solution that’s more maintainable than duplicating the features.
If I could dynamically derive the module from the URL that could work.

I imagine someone will recommend that I use custom events for this. I could trigger a custom event and supply the context as an attribute. But that’d still require 3 duplicate feature trees in the feature map.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by link_black 30 March 2020, 21:51

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for posting @burtyish !

I hope you already know this, but you can have multiple URLs Scopes for URL Rules and Tag UI Element Rules and also have multiple PX Custom Events map to a single PX Feature.  This will allow your application Events to all be tracked and recorded against a single PX Feature and perhaps simplify your PX Product Map … which appears to be your goal.

See my simple URL Rules example below mapped to 4 different, unique URL Scopes.

And, because your are also using Global Context, you can use that to filter/group usage data in Adoption Analytics and also us this as Rule criteria for Audience Logic while targeting PX Engagements.  See my samples below:

To be clear, filtering/grouping by Global Context is not currently available in other parts of PX, such as Audience/Account Explorer, Dashboards, and Retention Analysis, so it is only designed for the purposes that I described above.

I hope this helped a little.

Thanks @link_black, you’re correct about me wanting to keep our product map simple and maintainable. My first concern though is providing the value our PM and CS members require.
Found some good tips for me in your answer re the adoption analyzer.

Our PM is specifically interested in the path analyzer, where I was unable to find a way to see of filter by context values. Am I missing something?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@burtyish correct, Path Analyzer does not currently offer Global Context as a filtering/grouping option.  This is a good feature request to add in Product Ideas above so other customers can upvote and comment.