Virtual Customer Advisory - End User Reporting

• 5 February 2021
  • 17 replies
Virtual Customer Advisory - End User Reporting
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Community! We want your feedback via a live advisory session with our Product Management team

What is the Virtual Customer Advisory Meeting (VCAM) about?

A lot of you have expressed interest in the ability for CSM’s and Managers (non-admins) to build their own reports. We try to democratize report building at Gainsight however we also recognize that there might be some problems with directly exposing report builder to everyone in your org. We want to listen to your feedback, understand some pain points, and share some ideas with you so that when we release “End-user Reporting” it helps as many of you as possible.

Who is the right person to Enroll?

Active Admins who build reports. If you have already exposed reporting to everyone in your org, we would love to hear your experience a bit more.

When is this happening?

We are planning a number of sessions in the second and third week of Feb 2021.

What should you do?

Please register for the roundtable slots provided using this form. If you are unable to use Google forms due to company restrictions you can email rvele@gainsight.com to sign up. 

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I have conflicting feelings about this feature - on the one hand it could empower CMS/COMs/Managers to get the information they need to make decisions quicker. On the other hand, the reporting structure is very complex and I am already having nightmares of SFDC style custom reports where there is no source of truth for any given metric as everyone has 20 reports on the same thing with slight variations.

Badge

I have conflicting feelings about this feature - on the one hand it could empower CMS/COMs/Managers to get the information they need to make decisions quicker. On the other hand, the reporting structure is very complex and I am already having nightmares of SFDC style custom reports where there is no source of truth for any given metric as everyone has 20 reports on the same thing with slight variations.

This is exactly the concern I have as well.  Between the complexity of our environment, and the complexity of the reporting structure, I’m not confident that allowing users to build their own reports would yield consistent/accurate results.  My hope is that the feature would be able to be toggled on/off, based on where it is appropriate for the customer’s user base.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Melissa_Young A feature toggle is super important, you’re right. I made a similar comment here 

about allowing user-editable field displays. I don’t think it should just be on-off, I think it should be permission group based so you can enable it for some users and not others. Otherwise, if your exec insists on using it you can enable a free for all, or you’d have to make them an admin which maybe you don’t want either.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Good discussion in here so far. FYI @rakesh 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Count me in. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I also subscribed. As an admin, I'm getting quite some questions to create custom reports on this or that. I'd like to open up the report builder for more people, but the underlying data model with GS standard fields (same names on every object) and many lookups is very confusing for people who are not used to work with it on a regular basis. Our Customer Marketeer is already struggling when she has to set up the target groups for email campaigns in Journey Orchestrator.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi! Just registered for it. I am using it from some months and on one side I really like it, especially when integrated with Data Designer, on the other side I believe it could/should be made more customizable.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

This has been requested by our users but I also share the same concerns as above. I think exposing certain fields/filters or defining which objects/fields are exposed to end users might help. Signed up!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Would love to brainstorm more around this! 

Badge

Yes, please make a set of optional permission settings that can be turned on and off for users. It needs to be more granular than what it is today (in NXT) to choose not just whether or not a person can create reports, but can they edit them, delete them, etc. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I echo everyone’s sentiments in here. And want to be a part of this conversation.

From my perspective, providing Report Builder to non-admins isn’t feasible unless there are:

1. Access controls to lock down reports and folders so that end users can only create/modify their own reports
  2. Ways to create limited data access sets that we can expose to end users for use (similar to Report Types in Salesforce) and preferably not Data Designer sets as they are too complex.

The data structure is way too complicated to expose externally. To the point of “democratizing” report builder, our user count is more than 2x the total number of Gainsight employees and currently only one GS admin, so that’s definitely a non-starter for us.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

For some reason my comment posted twice….

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Good discussion on this - thanks for enabling these discussion sessions @dan_ahrens !

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@rakesh is there an update on any plans to implement something like this? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Yes @gunjanm, This is the next big item that @Azad and the team are working on

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@rakesh thanks! Is there a timeline or a possibility to get into early testing beta?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Yes @gunjanm, This is the next big item that @Azad and the team are working on

athenahealth is interested in an update as well!