Thank you all for subscribing to our "Beta program for Email to Timeline”!

• 26 November 2018
  • 41 replies

Userlevel 6
Hi All,

Use this thread to share your feedback, queries, discussions. You can also use this thread to report bugs (if any) or anything that’s related to your experience with the "Email to Timeline" feature enabled as part of Beta program in your respective Orgs.

Our team is eager to receive your feedback as it will help us make this feature more delightful. Hope you all actively use this feature and share your feedback with us.

Thank you in anticipation!

41 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
You can also learn more about the Email to Timeline feature with these resources:

UPDATE TO PARTICIPANTS:

Following are the latest updates:

• No. of emails logged as activity timeline: Very few

• Number of accounts started adding at least one user: 22

• Feedback received: None

We are Hungry for your feedback!

If it's working - Let us know; If something's not working- Please let us know;

We encourage you to share your valuable feedback that will help us to learn what’s working and what’s not. Your inputs will give us an edge to focus on the core feature and stay in tune with what you want, need, or expect. This beta program is available for a limited period of time and for a few limited slots! Request you to please confirm your participation by providing your feedback. If you do not intend to participate in this Beta program, we will include others. We may need to turn off this feature for the non-participating accounts in order to accomodate the others who need this feature.

Just to be clear, this does not add inbound emails to timeline, just captures outbound emails when the rep adds the GS email address to the BCC field when sending an email?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Inbound emails are captured if they are part of the thread when you send the email to Timeline.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
So the inbound email would need to have the Email to Timeline email address as a recipient - which would most likely occur if they did a Reply All to an outbound email that had the unique timeline email as a To or CC address.

Badge
Hi all, I have a question regarding one of the prerequisite steps of configuring the email to timeline feature. I am having a little trouble figuring out how to load contacts into the company person object. I am unsure of how to set-up the rule. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
We use a rule to find contacts (most but not all contacts of our customers) then the action is load to Company Person.

https://support.gainsight.com/View_More_Categories/Standard_Edition/03Rules_Engine/02Admin_Guides/07Action_Type%3A_Load_to_Company_Person

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hi Jasmine,

Check out this step by step tutorial, which is used to do the same thing for Gainsight Sharing. :)

Badge
Thank you both!

I activated this feature for the team (5) at the end of last week. We currently only have two users actively attempting to use it and it hasn't worked at all - usually resulting in bounce backs. I forwarded a couple of these to support so haven't received a response yet but am checking with the published limitations myself first. Once we start to see successful posting, we'll be able to provide more detailed feedback.

Feedback from myself (admin):

-It was unclear in configuration that the GS person object would be required as this is not something I had previously used/sync'ed. We just rely on the SFDC contact object.

Questions:

-If we have fields that are mandatory on timeline posts, will email to timeline be able to bypass these or will it mean the email always goes to drafts?

-As a nice to have, can we remove our email signatures (e.g. by encasing them in certain characters)? As well as company information, we have to have the details of our regulators and this adds clutter to the email body when reviewing.

Hi All,

We have created a short video to help with "Load to company person'. Hope this would be helpful. Thanks!

https://vimeo.com/304808984/92f22706ea

Hi,

Can you please check this https://support.gainsight.com/Administration_and_Permissions/General_Administration/Bulk_Load_Account_Contacts_for_C360_and_Success_Plan_Sharing and let us know if this helps you in Load to Company Person? You can also check the video here for Loading to Company Person.

-None of the fields are mandatory for posting to timeline except for "Related To". Based on the email ids , we identify the account or relationship the post belongs to. More details can be found below -

-Regarding removing email signatures, we need to see how we can address that. It is not there in the roadmap.

Thanks

Abhishek S

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
@Kunal, Thank you for the detailed explanation.

@All, please let us know if you still need any help in configuration.

Badge +5
@ Jasmin did you get this figured out and added? If non my email is todd.massey@delphix.com. Hit me with an email and we can set up a quick chat to work it out! I had a bit of trouble with setting this up myself but I got it working now.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi everyone! Finally got Email to Timeline configured but it still doesn't appear to be working. Me and a colleague are contacts pulled in as Person records for a test account. In reply to each other with BCC email address provided, nothing has been logged to that timeline yet.

I am also wondering if Email to Timeline would work when forwarding email chains to the address provided for conversations that have ended but have not been logged yet. Please let me know!

Badge +6
Hi Anastassia, in my experience with testing, it doesn't work when emailing to the domain(s) set as your "Acceptable Domain". I added my personal gmail as a Company Person record and it worked! I'll let the product team comment too though.

On the second question, want to ensure I'm understanding correctly. You want to just forward an email chain with the BCC to Timeline token address, but not send the email to the customer? If that's the case, this wouldn't work because it only attaches to a customer if the email in the TO line is in the company person record.

Let me know if that helps!

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I found this helpful when determining expected behavior - why it logs, why it logs as a draft (in global Timeline), and why it fails:

https://support.gainsight.com/Timeline/User_Guides/Log_Customer_Emails_as_Timeline_Activities_(Beta)

If you forward an email to the address it will log as draft since there is no matching email in the Person object. You have to go to global timeline and edit the draft to tie it to the right account and contact

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
@Kendra - thanks for that tip - it worked!

@John - would I see the draft in the drafts section for that specific customer or is there one big drafts area somewhere? It doesn't seem to be appearing.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
@Anastassia

There is a tab just for Timeline that can show you all activity and all drafts.

https://support.gainsight.com/Timeline/User_Guides/Use_Timeline_to_log_Activities#The_Timeline_tab

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
@John - perfect! Was not aware of such a tab. Might have to add it to our bar. Thanks so much!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Anastassia,

The global Timeline tab displays all Timeline activity posts for all accounts and relationships, as well as users can view all of their drafts there. You can read more about enabling global Timeline here.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi @Lila, user permissions are pretty crucial to us so it actually seems we won't be able to utilize the global Timeline tab. Hoping your product team can make it so that permissions are honored on the activity level as well.

Badge +3
Have been unsuccessful in getting this configured correctly. Inbound Emails looks correct to me and Persons have been added to a Company record for testing (included an email from a domain that is not on our Acceptable Domains list), but bcc'ing my personalized inbound email address still isn't posting to timeline– neither as actual entries or drafts.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting? Is this something support might be able to help with if I open a ticket?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
If a whole team is included and not all the email addresses are associated with a Person record for that customer, will the timeline activity still be logged?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Great to see so many of you are setting up Email to Timeline!

It will be easier to respond to individual questions/issues, as well as read the relevant followup, if folks can post them as separate threads here. Just a quick video to remind you of how to start a new post in the Email to Timeline Beta topic.