How can Gainsight improve the Global search

• 13 April 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4

We are interested in your feedback 

We are currently working on improving the Gainsight Global Search, we want to improve the user experience around global search. A couple of the things we are already considering include

1. Administration - Supporting filters in the search configuration. These filters help admins restrict in-active and non-relevant records from appearing in search results. (here)
  2. Recent searches - Showing the recent searches to users. (here)

Few inputs that would help me here are

• What are the top 2 challenges you face with global search today ?
  • What can we improve to make it easier for you to find the desired Company/Relationship record ?
  • What other entities do you want to search using Global search ?

Also any other thoughts or ideas that you may have to improve the Global search would be super helpful.

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas.

Gopal

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@gopal_rao_kallepu are you in my brain? Just came here to post a request and was happy to see this was 3 hours not 3 years old.

1. Here’s a recent issue I had: 

I have a ticket number I can give you with a concrete example of this behavior. Not posting images here for confidentiality reasons. My thought was to mediate this, give users the ability to choose one or more of the search-enabled features they want to pass their search query through.

2. Not my idea but another big win for admins (and maybe some end users) : 

Userlevel 4

Thanks for the responding here @bradleymcg

1. Giving end users the flexibility to choose the searchable attributes(out of admin shortlisted attributes) is a great idea. We will explore this option.
  2. Being able to search on the GSID is not a straight forward thing, need to evaluate the feasibility. Meanwhile can you help me understand the following @Amrith82 and @bradleymcg 
    • Any specific use-cases around users searching by a GSID ?
    • How common is it to search on GSIDs ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks for the responding here @bradleymcg

1. Giving end users the flexibility to choose the searchable attributes(out of admin shortlisted attributes) is a great idea. We will explore this option.
  2. Being able to search on the GSID is not a straight forward thing, need to evaluate the feasibility. Meanwhile can you help me understand the following @Amrith82 and @bradleymcg 
    • Any specific use-cases around users searching by a GSID ?
    • How common is it to search on GSIDs ?

In answer to #2, this is chiefly for admins benefit - there are times when I only have a GSID and I need to find an account, so having a quick way to just pop in the ID to the search bar and find the account is helpful - instead of needing to go into a report and filtering, etc.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

+1 for the GSID search

My current workaround for this is to open one of my go-to Company records/URLs and replace the GSID in the address bar with the one I’m looking for — which is more complicated than it needs to be

Userlevel 3

Problem Statement

Currently, we have 20k+ records in Gainsight and there are many searches that return an unusable list of accounts because of conglomerates, similar names, or lots of parent-child accounts. What happens is you search for the company name and the results are accounts you’re NOT looking for. 

Effectively, some accounts cannot be found via search because 20+ prospects come up first. The only way around this is to 1) know who the TAM is and search for their name or 2) go to a report and click on the account link from the report. Either way, you must know how to find the account.

I don’t want to get into solutioning, but as examples we need one or more of the following: ability to see a longer list of accounts, ability to prioritize customer over prospect, multi-field search such as company name + CSM name, or something else.

Userlevel 4

Thanks for sharing your use cases here @jbeaumont, very helpful. We will try to address these pain points

We have records tied to companies and being able to search for these would be very helpful. If a truly global search is not feasible, then @bradleymcg’s first suggestion would be great.

“Giving end users the flexibility to choose the searchable attributes(out of admin shortlisted attributes)”