Email to Timeline Question

Related products: None

Does anyone that uses the email to timeline have a best practice for the following?

We use the email to timeline religiously to track customer interaction with the CSMs in our Org. When we send an email to out customer we place it in the bcc field and it works like a charm. Our question is if anyone has a best practice for when the customer responds and the communication ends there. Clearly we would not want to email them back and bcc Gainsight but we need a way to efficently get that reply to stamp in timeline. Some CSMs copy it by hand and some forward it to Gainsight but it lands in drafts and with the new 50 draft limit it might get lost in the shuffle. This might not be something solvable right away but wanted to post in case anyone had some insight.

Thanks in advance!

In this case I usually just forward the end of the email chain to my BCC address... and then go into my drafts and assign it to the right place. Not perfect but it gets the job done!

Thanks for the reply, Kate. That does work well for me but some of our CSMs might not be so good at that and once the drafts reach the limit they might lose some of those. I know they get a warning but hey you cant please everyone. Looks like some of them might just have to make some workflow changes

You could always reply back to the customer saying "thanks for this info" or similar and BCC Gainsight. It's polite and effective! :)

We have a simiar problem. But over all, LOVE that we're able to get more information than before. But it would be nice if it could 'stack' the replies with the same subject - or condence the 'back and forth' into one. I have some people that just wait until the end and forward the chain...but we have employees that use it every single time...

For now we've stated if there is an attachment send to timeline, and then at the end send to timeline.

We have a similar issue where some customers engage only via email. Right now bcc email to timeline cannot differentiate in an email that was sent from CSM vs a reply from customer.

We want to be able to log a reply from customer as a reply-email in timeline with a timestamp and based on the response trend it as positive/negative which then rolls up well into our scorecard for customer engagement. 

We are planning to get email threads in Timeline. So once an email is synced to Timeline and if you Bcc the customer reply again then even without the recipient details we will append this information in the existing activity. Would this solve all of your use-cases?

@nitisha_rathi would the capability allow me to report on replies from customers in a manner that I can use the timestamp from the reply email as my touchpoint timestamp with customer and flag the response as positive/negative/neutral so that we can create a scorecard on the health of engagement with CSM?

Today we do the same on call and meeting type activities. However we lack that capability on email interactions because 

1. Emails are not distinguished between what goes from CSM vs email that are replied to from customer.
  2. Trending if the response is indicating anything like we assess on calls/meetings using “Trending” field.

I am thinking of something on the lines of  using a email plugin to push emails to timeline with timestamp and trending.

Interesting idea. We will explore enabling these capabilities. Thanks for sharing.

@kate_green  @nitisha_rathi 

When an email goes into our drafts, we are able to assign the thread to a customer - that works fine. But we are not able to assign it to an objective in a Success Plan. Any work around for this? Thanks!

@Intuitive_Geneva 

I think you’d need to copy/paste the content from the email into a Timeline entry from the Objective itself.  I don’t see another way of the system knowing which Objective to associated it with.