Question

Cross-Org Migration - anyone using it in regular practice?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Looking to leverage the Cross-Org Migration tool and I'd like to hear from anyone using it in regular practice and hear about your successes (and failures) with the tool, gotchas you've come across, caveats, any words of wisdom, etc.

Our first experience with it didn't go so well.

5 replies

Badge +1
Jeff,

Another area that I wish it would be improved. I have been asking for this since last year as it is a mandate from our IT department and we have an exception at this point. To your specific question, I have tried Cross-Org a couple of times and it is a hit and miss (at least for me). Lately I have decided you manually copying config between environments as I found it to be less-error prone (go-figure!). I think you are safe with reports, rules and dashboards. What is also important (at least last time I used it) was the order in which you import the objects. The tool wasn't smart enough to for example import first a report and then a dashboard that uses those reports and thus ended up with errors.

Hope that helps!
Badge
We use it extensively.

For us the biggest pain points are

1. Dashboard global filters dont migrate

2. AOs dont migrate

Success points

1.Reports and dashboards move seamlessly if the MDA objects at both places are exactly same.

2. Rules migrate well but it is always a good idea to validate again as sometimes the includes operator doesn't migrate and its changed to blank

3. Surveys migrate well as well. 
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Completely agree on the success points. This is a very useful tool but it is important to validate that all your configs moved over properly. There are always little gotchas that you need to check and validate before ensuring your changes in Production are exactly what you were expecting.

I try to use it whenever possible but I have seen issues with Migrating Low Volume Object. X-Org doesn't support Data Designer Items and Success Snapshot 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
'

I try to use it whenever possible but I have seen issues with Migrating Low Volume Object. X-Org doesn''t support Data Designer Items and Success Snapshot 

@Nalin Thanks for raising a new request on this request. 

'