Question

Bulk Enable Sally Users

• 13 September 2017
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
  • Gainsight Employee: ACE
  • 548 replies
In Sally for Slack, after I import new users from their Slack Avatar, they get added in the Users List as disabled. I understand that this is expected behavior (per support ticket 29439), but it may make me lose my mind.

The lesser problem: For a first-time user/admin, this is not intuitive. In the Avatars tab, I import the Avatars, then try to Enable Sally Access for them, but get an error (screenshot: https://cl.ly/3g3g083q0y0r). This error message doesn't give me enough info to know that I have to switch to the Users List tab and enable the users.

The bigger problem:

Enabling users is burdensome. Consider that I'll have to do this for my entire sales, professional services, support, implementation, and executive teams:

• Scroll/page/search through the Gainsight Users list, looking only for the users who I just imported from their Slack Avatar, and skipping the many users who are [i]not on those teams, but are present in this list from Salesforce Users via Gainsight Connect. Do not miss even a single user.
  • For each user, click "Enable/Disable Status"...
  • ...then click the confirmation button...
  • ...then wait for the page to reload.
  • Then go back to the Avatars > Users in Gainsight list and enable all the users.
Three possible ways occur to me to make this less of a problem:

1. Import the users as Active from the get-go. Or, when importing the users, enable me to select a checkbox that says "Set as Active when imported" and perhaps also "Enable Sally Access when imported"
  2. Give me a 1-step tool to make a batch of users Active, and ideally enable Sally Access at the same time
  3. Make Enablement a one-click step without requiring a page reload
Thank you, as always, for listening!

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
As a follow-on to Seth's question, what's the process for evergreen access to Sally for new users?

That is, after I step through a one-time process to enable all my [i]current users for Sally, must I continue to return to this process each time a new User arrives who must be provisioned for Sally?
Thank you for your suggestions. We will work on making the overall process simpler.

Seth,

When we create new GS Users from users imported from Slack, by default these GS users are made active. If this is not already happening then there could be an issue. So, enabling Sally for wider teams shouldn't be an issue as most of them will be first time GS Users and they are made active by default.

Only in the cases when the Slack users are mapped to existing GS users that are already inactive, this process of making the users active is required. We can definitely work on making it easier to enable corresponding GS User active in this case.

Matthew,

With evergreen option, wouldn't you see any data security issue if Sally access is provided to everyone on the Slack team?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Thank you, Rajesh. Per the support ticket I mentioned, it sounded like importing them as [i]inactive was expected behavior.

After importing a batch of users, some were set to Active, and others were not. Most, if not all, of the users that I imported have active SFDC Users, but do not have Gainsight licenses.
Seth, Sorry for the confusion. The following is the expected behaviour

1. New GS User created from users imported from Slack = By default the GS user is made active.

2. Slack User Mapped to an existing GS User (SFDC User + Non Gainsight License User) =  By default the GS user is inactive.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Thank you for the clarification, Rajesh. But my original concern still stands, since our sales, professional services, support, implementation, and executive teams all have Salesforce Users, but do not have Gainsight licenses, but I will want to enable them for Sally.
Yes. I agree. We are working on ways to make the process easier. I will update this thread as we make progress.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Having just stumbled through the process of enabling users (both Gainsight seatholders and non-GS seatholders) for Slack, I'll affirm there is severe click-friction in this motion. The current process is unintuitive, not fully documented on Gainsight's support site, and very slow. Lots of wasted effort and unnecessary steps to be taken by an Administrator. Improvements definitely welcome in this space.
Hi Mathew,

Agree with the feedback. We will work on making the documentation better. Also, among other things to make the user experience better, we will provide an option to enable Sally access by default while bringing Slack users into Gainsight. So it becomes a single step process.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
>>Enable Sally access by default

That's a super smart option. I'm looking forward to what is to come here!
Badge
Just curious on any updates here....  as I am starting the process of enabling 100's of users.
Badge
I think others mention this error, but was wondering how to fix it.    I have loaded users (employees) into the user list, added them to gainsight and am now trying to enable their access to sally by toggling the enable/disable (on/off) switch.   Any suggestions on a workaround to the error;

, perhaps the user is not logged into Slack ?
Hi Tom,

The users who do not have Gainsight License are imported as inactive GS users. They need to be enabled first under 'Administration -> User Management -> Users List' before providing Sally access using the Sally access toggle. 

We are planning to auto enable users in the future when Sally access is being provisioned using the toggle.

Please open a support ticket in case you still face any issues.

Thanks,
Badge
that worked quite nicely.   I believe I will write up a little document on "users lists" and Sally enabling (for myself and others) - appreciate the prompt response.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
+1, we're currently rolling this out to 100+ users and most don't have GS licenses. It looks like I can bulk enable Sally easily enough. Is there a way I can bulk activate the actual GS users or do I have to activate those one by one?

We are in the process of adding 150 new users to the system and enabling Sally for this new group is painfully slow, when is this going to get fixed?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Any update on when this will be fixed or improved? I’m trying to enable this for a team of 60+ users and this is still rather slow and unintuitive.