US Admin Office Hours (Tuesday session) - 01/03/23 - 1 pm PT / 2pm MT / 3pm CT / 4pm ET - Pre-session Thread

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hello everyone and happy New Year!

This thread is for our today’s Tuesday Admin Office Hours session on Tuesday, January 3, 2023 at 1pm PT / 2pm MT / 3pm CT / 4pm ET.

Please submit your questions below as replies to this post in advance if you can, and we'll address them during the session (or if there’s a quick answer available, we’ll post as replies to the questions).

There is no need to register for these sessions - you can join at any time. Once the session is underway, I will go in order of questions posted below first, then field questions from anybody else who has joined as well. Look forward to talking with you!

Conference Details (Zoom):

Tuesday, January 3, 2023 at 1pm PT / 2pm MT / 3pm CT / 4pm ET

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://gainsight.zoom.us/j/96519250125?pwd=cHJoZkhMQ3ZDNU11bjZYaUV2dlhWQT09

Meeting ID: 965 1925 0125

Password: 492558

For dial-in info by your location, find your local number:

https://gainsight.zoom.us/u/ackBgrl8Vo

12 replies

@sdrostgainsightcom happy new year! I’d like to review a question about Milestones. My issue - we have 26 active Manual Milestones, but only one is showing as available in 360 in the Customer Journey and I can’t figure out why. 

Also, do you know if the Customer Journey gets updated with new Milestones in nightly runs only, or is there an option to set it to “real-time” updates?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I have a question about syncing activities to SFDC.  We would like to do this for a sub-set of activities, but I don’t see a toggle in the settings.  Any known work-arounds?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Scott,

I am wanting to know if there is a way to update Activities coming across our Salesforce connector with a name “Salesforce Admin” for the activities that are system generated in Salesforce. Right now it is displaying our Salesforce Admin’s name.

-Travis Morgan

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi @angela_domenichelli !  The short answer is that you would use Rules Engine with the Load to SFDC Action on the rule to push the activities over - we can talk further during the session in a few hours, but that’s the best way to select only certain Timeline entries, or certain CTA Tasks, etc., and push them over to Tasks or Events in SFDC (or a custom object if preferred).

A number of Gainsight admins have set this up to cover the same use case vs. the blanket sync on Timeline or the blanket sync on CTA Tasks (pretty sure you’re asking about Timeline here, but same answer either way).

Hope that gets you rolling -- see you with followup questions soon!

Badge

HI Scott, 

Have a question regarding pausing and resuming a program. wanted to make sure I understand the behavior.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hey there @tmorgan !  

Off the top of my head, pretty sure the only option here is to actually update the First Name/Last Name/Name in the GS User object (not on the SFDC side) for that Admin so that “Salesforce Admin” is shown as the user that’s creating the entries.

Should work well -- the catch is that when the SFDC Admin’s user record in Salesforce is updated for some reason, your admin’s actual name will sync back over to GS User via the connector - assuming that this is a rare occurrence, you’d have to keep an eye out for it and update again if it changed.

You could also avoid that sync issue by filtering that username OUT of the User sync -- not scalable for a bunch of usernames, but for this specific case, probably a good way to keep the “Salesforce Admin” name you update untouched.

We can talk in a couple hours about it if you have follow-ups!

Hey Scott!

Happy new years man! Quick question, do you have any experience working with the Segment connector? I have some mapping questions, as our new software update (company) broke our old identifier, looking at how to get everything tied back in to the company name. I’ll join thursdays call but just wanted to ask if you’ve ever dealt with setting one up, or any resources you can recommend besides what GS has on their website 

Badge

Hey Scott - Need help setting up and auto reassignment for auto CTAs when CSMs change on an account. This was from our chat last session.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hello @johnnyriv -- I’d recommend opening up a support ticket if you haven’t done so already - I probably haven’t worked with the connector for 4 years, so I’m not a great resource, but let’s see what Support can provide, and then we can take a look at it on Thursday if you are still having issues.  Good luck!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hello @ACT (and anybody else curious about using External Actions to make an API call back into Gainsight so you can update existing CTAs).

As promised, here’s a quick rundown with screenshots on getting things set up in your Gainsight to make this work.

External Action to Update CTA Owner Part 1:

First, there is 1 “workaround”-type step to doing this that I forgot to mention as we talked through the process in 10 minutes flat earlier. 

When creating an External Action (again, this is a feature developed to make API calls to other platforms like Slack or Jira, etc., using Gainsight’s Rules Engine), you have to select a Connector you are using for the API call.  

Normally, you set up a Custom Connector that will allow you to “log into” the Slack/JIRA/whatever API using the credentials that your Slack admin, or your JIRA admin, etc., gives you.  Then you create External Actions that will push data to those APIs.

Since you CAN’T select the Gainsight API connector as a connector for an External Action, you have to create a Custom Connector that’s just a placeholder for you to use like this:

1. Go to Connectors
  2. Click “Create Connection”
  3. From the popup, select “Custom Connector” from the dropdown for this connection (screenshot below) 
  4. Name the new Connector “API for Gainsight External Actions” or something like that.
  5. Don’t add any Authorization Type -- you’ll be putting that in your External Action - this is just a placeholder. 
  6. Click SAVE and you are ready to create External Actions.

I’m going to add a 2nd reply with those instructions so this doesn’t get too long.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

External Action to Update CTA Owner Part 2:  (fyi @ACT )

Once you’ve created your placeholder Connector, go to External Actions and start creating the API call:

1. When you select “Create Action”, name it “Update CTA Owner” or similar.
  2.  It will ask which Connector to use -- use the placeholder connector you set up in the previous steps.
  3. Under Basic Information, select PUT as the call type, and then put in your Gainsight URL with the CTA API info:   https://yourgainsightURLname.gainsightcloud.com/V2/cockpit/cta/
    1. (note the “v2/cockpit/cta/” at the end must be added to your Gainsight URL -- screenshot below of what it looks like in my “demo” Gainsight org: 
  4. Then add the below code to your Payload section:

{
    "requests": [
        {
            "record": {
                "referenceId": "1", 
                "Gsid": "{{CtaGsid}}",
                "OwnerId": "{{NewOwnerId}}",
                "ownerCriteria": "ALL_OPEN_TASKS"
             }
        }
    ]
}

1. NEXT STEP -- Headers Information section - there will already be a header for “Content-Type = json” there.  ADD ANOTHER HEADER (click the Plus sign), name it “accesskey”, and then paste in the API code from your “Gainsight API” connector: 
  2. For the “Fields” section, leave them as they appear in the above screenshot.
  3. Under “Advanced Config Info”, set the counter “3”.

Save the new External Action and then see what it looks like when you add it to a Rule as the “Action” to act on when you hand it the CTA IDs and new Owner IDs that you fetch with the rule.

That should get you set up and ready for us to look at it on Thursday!  Good luck!

Userlevel 1