Question

Why do URL parameters require encoding in Gainsight, and does it remove its function?

• 31 May 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I ran into an issue today where I could not save a template due to several errors stating 'Named Entity Expected. Got none.' on all urls that had utm parameters appended (for example, website.com?src=welcome&type=email. I cannot save the email with &, it has to be & which I question whether or not the form would accurately capture the value of that parameter?

I have never worked with an email tool that requires encoding the ampersand when it's used as a url parameter string.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hi Kelly, information here is not enough, could you please add more lines to it and a screenshot helps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hi @sai_ram_pulluri,

See below, the '&' following '?' should stay an ampersand because it's a function, is not a part of the URL and should not be encoded. In the example 'ei' and 'src' are followed by the values that need to pass through a form. In the first example, I cannot save the html. In the second, with the ampersand encoded, I can now save it but it's wrong.

Click any ad across the web and you will see how tracking parameters are written:

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Any comments here @sai_ram_pulluri? We are looking to start communications that will prepopulate a form based on the URL UTM parameters, which is currently not feasible in GS. This is a really big issue, there is no reason for Gainsight's wysiwyg editor to break the query string.