Solved

Use copilot to send "Operational" emails

• 27 February 2016
  • 22 replies

Badge
I see that with the latest release, or maybe before, you can flag emails as operational and they will bypass some opt out preferences.  Is it possible to use this feature in Copilot?  I can only find instructions on how to use it in the rules engine.  I'm honestly a little confused why you would use the rules engine to send an email also but how do I use that feature in Copilot?
icon

Best answer by gaurav_kotak 26 August 2016, 21:31

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 5
Hey Lauren, Operational email option is not there in Copilot yet. I will add that as a suggestion as an enhancement request to copilot roadmap.

For the time being, you can use Rules engine and SFDC email template to send out the operational email. You can use the same source for the list and have Send email action. The reason for this being part of Rules Engine is operational emails should be controlled by Admin and not CSM team.
Userlevel 6
Hi Sundar, I've had a couple of companies ask about when we may offer operational emails from Copilot. Is there any new insight into timing?  FYI -  All of these companies have Copilot controlled by an Admin so they don't view it as a risk.  Thanks!
Userlevel 5
Thanks Elaine. This is added to backlog, will keep everyone posted on ETA.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Sundar,

I'm going to add my +1 on this as well. The issue is increasingly coming up with customers of mine and for some of them is a roadblock to being able to fully use CoPilot. 

This functionality is available in some other similar email platforms:

Marketo : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sJJ2_p4XOo

HubSpot: http://blog.hubspot.com/customers/difference-between-transactional-and-marketing-email

Related - I found this interesting article that digs deep into the differences between commercial and transactional emails both in the US and in other jurisdictions. https://customer.io/blog/Send-email-without-unsubscribe-link-cold.html
Userlevel 5
This is targeted for upcoming quarter. 
Do you have a rough date for when this feature would go live?
As Sundar mentioned, planned for Q4. Not sure yet if October or November release. We'll mention in release notes and update this thread once we have more info. 
To everyone interested in sending operational emails via copilot, I wanted to your feedback on what you think comprises of an operational email. We are looking to enable this functionality but obviously don't want to get you/us in trouble / black listed by email vendors. 

At this point we are considering allowing enabling 'operational emails (no unsubscribe)'

1. Any email sent via cockpit email tasks (semi-automation) are always operational 

2. Any email sent via copilot with an embedded report can be sent as operational

3. Any email sent via copilot which has a tokenized link can be sent as operational

4. Any email sent as a 'daily trigger' where essentially comparing to a date, can be sent as operational

5. Any email can be sent via copilot, but if number in outreach > 1000, the unsubscribe link is added. 

6. to send operational email, the from address much be address of a CSM (or user) vs. a generic email address. 

The motivation here is to ensure only operational emails are sent as operation and we believe emails that are heavily personalized (embedded report, tokenized link, from CSM, smaller batches) can be marked as operational and not have unsubscribe link. 

Thanks,

Gaurav
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I love the thought process here, Gaurav!
Badge
This would cover our operational use cases.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
For us, #5 would not allow us to send some of our operational emails. I would like to see #5 as an "or" not an "and".
Hi Lane, Thanks for the feedback. We are planning to increase the limit to 5K and then further relax over time as we get data on impact to reputation scores which is a function of how the aggregate customer base use this functionality. We plan to relax this functionality through a combination of increase the limit and 'or'ing it with other factors. If 5K is too low (which I suspect in your case it will be), you always have the (admittedly non-ideal) option to break out outreaches in the interim. Does this seem reasonable?
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
As long as there isn't a limit to how many can be sent in a 24 hour period, we could make this work. Again, not ideal.

Here is an example:

Let's say there is some sort of customer information breach. You would want to notify all of your customers as soon as possible. If you can only do 5,000 at a time, this would not be feasible. And then to have to break them into multiple outreaches would be tedious. Also, by breaking them out across multiple outreaches, you risk someone breaking a story before you can get the message to all your customers.
Yes this use case makes sense. There is no limit on 24 hour period, and we will look to expand the 5K. And finally always an option to send a larger outreach with unsubscribe (again not great, but an option nonetheless)
Badge
Hi Gaurav,

I am with Lane on this one.  We are currently sending release notes to multiple contacts on all of our accounts and would exceed the 5,000 threshold.

Having to break this out into multiple outreaches will be tedious. 
Badge
Hi Gaurav,

I am with Lane on this one.  We are currently sending release notes to multiple contacts on all of our accounts and would exceed the 5,000 threshold.

Having to break this out into multiple outreaches will be tedious. 
Userlevel 5
Scott - Release notes would not fall under the category of operational emails. User should be able to unsubscribe from release notes for sure. 

But I see the point that when there is a service downtime or subscription renewal notice it should be notified irrespective of whether the user has unsubscribed or not.
Badge
Any updates on the release date for this?
Badge
From this community post, planned for November release
Badge
When Operational emails are allowed through CoPilot will they ignore the "Unsubscribed Emails" check and send the email regardless?

We are currently using Gainsight for both Operational as well as non-Operational type emails and if they opt out of a non-Operational email we wouldn't want that to prevent the Operational email from sending.

Anything on the roadmap to expand opt out selections beyond "Customer Success Communication" and "survey"... maybe allowing configuration?

For example, it would be great if we could allow customers to opt out of emails by product line and tag email templates (or Outreaches) to a product line.
Hi Jeffrey,

1) Yes, if customer has opted-out of a non-operational email they will still get operational emails. This is being released in the next couple of weeks. Mind you, there is a limit on size of power list for 5,000 for operational email outreaches being sent. Over the next few months we will monitor usage patterns and tweak this as appropriate. Our guidelines for operational emails described below. Does this fit with you use case ?

What qualifies as an operational email?

An email that contains information specific to a customer or is sent based on a specific customer activity. A good rule of thumb is, would your customer be surprised if you told her that the email was sent manually by their CSM or Account manager? If the answer is yes, then it is probably not an operational email.

Examples of operational emails:

• Welcome email to a new customer

• Reminder email for an upcoming renewal

• An email with a report embedded with their usage data

• An email with a request for feedback for a specific action they took, such as logging a support ticket.

Examples of non-operational emails which should contain an unsubscribe option:

• An email regarding your upcoming user conference

• An email regarding a new product offering

• Generally, any email sent to a large number of customers. We have placed a cap of 5,000 contacts.

• An email to contacts or email addresses who are not paid customers.

Of course there are some instances where it’s not obvious which category applies. In these cases, we recommend that you send the communication as non-operational email. You can also analyze the open and click rates, and compare them to other emails to determine which category these communications fall under. With the following examples, we strongly recommend the email comes from (from address) the customer success or account manager:

• Annual NPS survey

• An email regarding new product release or upgrade.

2) In the future we have planned to have more categories so you can decide how to categorize and then recipients can decide what types of email they want. Of course we need to figure out a way to ensure that email content is consistent with the category it is in, so need some brainstorming. This is being evaluated but not planned through Q1. 
Badge
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed update.  This will work great for us.