Solved

"Tech Touch Strategy"

• 2 October 2018
  • 9 replies

Hi-

We are in the process of developing our “tech touch” strategy

through using both Outreach and Programs through Journey Orchestrator.  Our goal of leveraging this approach is related

to driving the improvement of performance outcomes  and strengthening the relationship with our

clients at different moments in time in their lifecycle.  Examples of programs we are looking to build

out are the following:

Theme:  Welcome/Introductions:  Goal is to introduce the client to their
    CS Team and understand the services they can expect
    Theme:  Client Performance:  Goal is to support clients with their
    ramp-up on our software/services by providing milestone based
    communications regarding their performance

Many of the approaches I’ve been reading about are more

about adoption/usage of products and this does not completely align with the strategy

we are developing.   

Interested in hearing

from other users who are leveraging a similar approach and learning any key

take-aways/lessons learned you’ve noted along the way.   Thanks

in advance!!

icon

Best answer by darkknight 3 October 2018, 18:23

View original

9 replies

Hey Nancy!

Journey Orchestrator [i]exactly fits this use case.  I recommend fully fleshing out those moments of truth along the Welcome/introduction phase as well as their adoption/Client Performance phase.  This will help identify not only the trigger points for communication, but also the metrics needed to validate if the desired behavior is occurring and, if not, trigger a CTA for CSM follow-up.

Practically, on a Welcome/introduction phase, this could look like:

1. Send out Welcome Email and introduce team/resources

2. Have a conditional wait to verify access of resources page.  If no access within X days, trigger CTA for CSM follow-up.

3. Send a survey to capture desired business outcomes.

4. Have a conditional wait to verify receipt of survey results.  If not responded, trigger a CTA for CSM follow-up.

5. Etc., etc.

The key to your tech touch strategy will be to not only identify the moments of truth, but to also measure the desired behaviors of your tech touch segment.  Only then can you ensure your tech touch programs are delivering real value.

Let me know if you'd like more clarification/discussion?  Thanks!

Tim
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hi Nancy,

A few other hyper practical tips related to defining your tech touch strategy:

1. Start with your high touch customer journey

2. Force rank every Moment of Truth ("MoT") - #1, #2, #3, etc. (new customer welcome, onboarding kick off, transition to CSM, etc.)

3. Is it possible to provide higher touch for your top 1 or 2 MoTs? Or does everything need to be 1:many?

4. For the MoTs that need to shift from high touch to tech touch, start with the customer's desired outcomes/experience vs. what you want to do to the customer.

Taking your two MoTs above, here is how you could reframe to be more customer-oriented:

• Welcome/Introductions:   Client feels confident in the decision to use our product, excited to get started and comfortable that we know how best to support him/her
  • Successful Maturity / Progression - Client appreciates the milestones they are hitting as they further adopt our product and improve their performance 
On the first MoT, some interesting things pop out when I reframe in terms of customer desired outcome/experience:

- Confidence: Maybe including in the welcome email some marquee customers that are similar in size or industry --> "Welcome to this elite club"

- Excited: One approach that I have seen work well is connecting the exec to a peer at a customer to hear directly from them. More scalable - a few specific problem - solution - result mini case studies could help paint the picture of what's coming.

- Comfortable that we know how to support them: how can you leverage one or two fields from the opportunity (use case, pain point, key priorities) to include in your first email that creates the experience that your team has stopped everything to get up to speed on this new customer!

hope this helps and let keep the questions / comments coming!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
At the risk of sounding like a negative nelly, Nancy in case you aren't aware of some of the limitations of Journey Orchestrator, I would suggest reading this post.

I am not trying to discourage you from using it - we're using it for simple outreach chains - but just know the limitations ahead of time for which you may want to account in your design and avoid making it too complex it until it's more flexible.

As an example, we built a CTA into one of our journeys and kept having issues with it triggering errantly (turns out to have been a bug) but we had to make several tweaks in the process which required stopping the program, cloning it, editing it, re-publishing it.  And anytime you have to clone/re-publish, it introduces it's own set of issues like you can't currently prevent previous participants from entering the program again if they meet the criteria even though in the previous program you had "once in a lifetime" flagged without adding additional dataset tasks to your query to exclude those who have previously received it (which we have now had to do).

We opted to take the CTA out and create a Bionic Rule that triggers the CTA based on the Email Logs until we're able to edit the CTA action in a JO program.

The more complex the program, the more times you may have to stop/clone/edit/republish if things don't work exactly as expected.

Just want to make sure you know going in and don't suffer as many of the heartaches as we have suffered.  Good news is, based on a comment from GS PM on that article I referenced above, it seems Gainsight engineering is hard at work trying to address these limitations and enhance the experience!
Jeff - appreciate you sharing your learnings here! Super helpful! Would be interested to learn more about the process re: leveraging the email logs and creating a CTA via bionic rules.  I'll do some initial digging on my end and read through the post you shared also! Again. Thank you!!
Thank you!! I appreciate you sharing your thoughts/POV here!  Definitely great considerations to keep in mind.
Tim, this is great and appreciate the response! What you have laid out above is the exact framework we had in mind! Good to know we are on the right path! Thanks again and will reach out w/additional questions!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Sure thing...

Basically we're creating a Bionic Rule with a dataset task that pulls from the Email Logs and looks for the specific Template Name for the particular outreach off of which we're triggering. 

In this above example we're only looking for whether or not the email was sent within the last 2 days - but you could enhance this logic to look for whether or not it was clicked, opened, bounced, etc.  To emulate "wait" functionality you could change the Triggered Date details to be something like Triggered Date >= Subtract 3 Days from Rule Date AND Triggered Date < Subtract 2 Days from Rule Date - that should put it about a 2 day wait when running this rule daily.

Next a Dataset task to pull in Account information (so I can pull in the CSM to whom to assign the CTA):

Then I create a merge task to combine these two datasets together, resulting in the COMMON records between the sets in my final output:

Then I use that final output to trigger my CTA.

It's a fairly simple bionic rule - and although it's a few extra steps than including a CTA action in the Journey Program, for us it was worth it to be able to edit the CTA action as necessary.  
you are the best. Thank you!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
My pleasure Nancy