Solved

Questions around Opt-Out on Person/Company Person record

• 24 February 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I can’t seem to find the answers I need to this on the support website (if anything there is lots of conflicting material around this topic) so hoping community-to-the-rescue. 

We haven’t yet sent any non-operational e-mails so we’re not currently using the opt-out preferences, but we want to start doing so (including moving our customers existing preferences from another platform). 

So a couple of questions; 

1. There is an opt-out field on both the Person and Company Person objects - which is the one that is referenced when sending a program? 

Here it implies it uses the Person record; 

Whilst here it implies it uses the Company Person record (as they all need to be unsubscribed separately); 

2. If we use a custom object (or even a CSV) to build the participant list, will the system still check against person/company person (and again, which one?) record and exclude those where opt-out = true from the program? e.g. by matching on e-mail address?

I’m sure based on answers I’ll have some follow-up questions…

Thanks,

icon

Best answer by rakesh_lingala 8 March 2021, 12:52

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@HollySimmons the screenshots attached are not visible here. Could you please reattach them.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@sai_ram does that work now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@sai_ram does that work now?

@HollySimmons yep, that works now. I will work on it and let you know. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

It’s also not clear how an opt-out that occurs from a contact unsubscribing is stored differently than a contact that is unsubscribed by a GS user on the Person object.

A Person object opt-out is not searchable in the email validator, but someone that has taken the action to opt our or has bounced is, which would indicate they are two different fields. 

Badge

I can’t seem to find the answers I need to this on the support website (if anything there is lots of conflicting material around this topic) so hoping community-to-the-rescue. 

We haven’t yet sent any non-operational e-mails so we’re not currently using the opt-out preferences, but we want to start doing so (including moving our customers existing preferences from another platform). 

So a couple of questions; 

1. There is an opt-out field on both the Person and Company Person objects - which is the one that is referenced when sending a program? 

Here it implies it uses the Person record; 

Whilst here it implies it uses the Company Person record (as they all need to be unsubscribed separately); 

2. If we use a custom object (or even a CSV) to build the participant list, will the system still check against person/company person (and again, which one?) record and exclude those where opt-out = true from the program? e.g. by matching on e-mail address?

I’m sure based on answers I’ll have some follow-up questions…

Thanks,

Hello, @HollySimmons,

Please see below the answers to your queries:

1. If there is an opt-out field on both the Person and Company Person objects, the Person object field is considered while sending a Program.
  2. The Custom object is considered when it is used in any type of source to build the participant list.

Also, the related articles (SFDC / NXT) are updated.

Thanks for posting.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@rakesh_lingala thanks for the reply. 

Just to dig in on this ;

1. If there is an opt-out field on both the Person and Company Person objects, the Person object field is considered while sending a Program.

The field exists as standard on both objects, so do you mean if the value is not null?

Thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@rakesh_lingala so it turns out the field isn’t standard on the Company Person object, it was added during our implementation and so I thought it was (as it has always existed). 

Thanks for the information, going to unpick that field and remove it so we can just use the Person one instead.