Solved

NPS Reminder Emails - Are they considered Operational?

• 13 June 2019
  • 5 replies

I'm curious if there is a best practice for NPS reminder emails - should they be operational or non-operational? Is this a pretty black and white question or is just a preference? Does it make a difference in terms of which to select IF you are including the survey question inline?

icon

Best answer by dan_ahrens 13 June 2019, 02:08

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Jill,

I think NPS emails fall into the operational category, regardless of how the survey is presented. In case you haven't see it, this article shares more info on operational email guidelines.

Based on this article, https://support.gainsight.com/Journey_Orchestrator_and_Email/Email_Options_and_Guidelines/Operational_Email_Guidelines - If we don't know then just best not to send it as operational...

We have over 5K in our list just because of the nature of the number of admins in our system - since the article says "Generally, any email sent to a large number of customers." I was wondering if in our case it shouldn't be operational.

What about reminders to the initial email? Would you keep that operational too?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Jill, I would advise caution with using the Operational email option for surveys. The main reason being that Operational emails do not honor previous unsubscribe preferences, nor do they contain the unsubscribe footer at the bottom of the email.

https://support.gainsight.com/Journey_Orchestrator_and_Email/Email_Options_and_Guidelines/Email_Opt-out_Policy#Configure_Operational.2FTransactional_Emails

There might be different schools of thought on this, but I think most recipients would agree that they should be able to choose if they want to opt out of a vendor's survey emails. AND if they previously requested to opt out of a vendor's emails, forcing them to receive your email anyway is a poor customer experience.

The way I think about operational emails is that they are non-optional. For example - notifying a customer that their subscription is about to expire due to a problem with their payment method, or that there is a planned outage next week. Things that are critical to the business relationship or their use of the product. Filling out a survey on the other hand is optional.

Thanks, Dan!