Solved

Journey Orchestrator Programs - Send Based on Time Zone?

• 27 September 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Is this possible? How are others addressing this?

I have two programs running that are mirror to each other with the exception of countries it includes or excludes, and then the rule runs at its local time zone. This has worked well enough but is an added headache anytime I have to update the program, I have to duplicate it twice.

However this week we had a contact enter both programs. I'm still trying to determine the root cause, but it would be much easier to be able to just designate different send times within one program.

I just attempted to manage it within the Program flow with conditional wait steps but it turns out the first action [i]has to be either Send Email or Create CTA, I cannot place a conditional wait after the Participants (can I suggest reconsidering that, please?).

Any other tips or is managing the two programs the only way currently?
icon

Best answer by diane_morneau 27 September 2018, 23:22

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Kelly, one question - does your program have multiple emails or just one email send step?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hey Dan - two email steps.
Badge
Hi Kelly

You are right - your first step is a send in Program.

I also segment my mailings by time to optimize Open rates. Studies show 23% of opens happen withing one hour of reception (it drops by 50% in the next hour). This is better than planning a second mailing to those who don't read it the first time.

I segmented mailings based on the participants IOT. 

I divided the planet in 3 time zones: Americas, Europe-Middle East and Asia-Japan.

I picked a time that falls within the business hours for all countries in each zone, coast to coast. It's OK to send in the afternoon and apparently even a good thing now since such mailings arrive at a different time than the rest of the crowd trying to get attention.

So for example, the Americas has a 5 hours span so I picked early afternoon 14h00 which delivers the mail at 10h00 Alaska time all the way to 15h00 in Brazil east coast.

I grouped Europe and Middle East for the 3 hours span. The toughest is Asia-Japan with its 6 hours span but still doable without having to create a fourth zone. 

Hope this helps 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Thanks Diane. To confirm, you are also running 3 programs for any one 'program' to accommodate your time zones?
Badge
Exact - no other choice!
Badge

Similar requirement for my customer.  We plan to solve by having one JO program but with a query builder for each region so we can have different schedules.

Badge +4

Seeing the same issues as above.