Question

JO: Best way to include a datasource URL in Email Template?

Badge

Hello - I am creating a program in Journey Orchestrator to send out to clients. Each client email will need to have a specific datasource URL. Is this possible with tokens? If not, what is the best way to do this?

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

We have a few programs where we send tokenized URLs. It sounds like your URL would live at the Company Person level? 

You can link out text and then in your link configuration in the Email Template, insert a Placeholder. Then in your JO program, it will flag the linked text with a placeholder as something that needs to be mapped.

Or, you can just insert the link address directly into the email to show the full web address. This would be done using a regular placeholder insertion in the email template that you then map in the JO program.

I use String data type in my Custom Field Mappings for URLs.

Badge

Hi @mknowles … Yes, you can use a token to achieve this.

As said, every customer has a unique Data-source...just capture it in a field at COMPANY/RELATIONSHIP level...the create a URL Field where you use CONCAT function to create the unique URL...then simply capture it in the program and pass as a TOKEN.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Building from what others are suggesting, you can use a token here by building the entire URL via Rule or via a Formula.

You can ALSO use a token for the variable portion of a URL only. For example, if your URL will be www.example.com/Kermit, www.example.com/Gonzo, etc., you can build a URL that has a token within it, so that only the variable portion--in this case, the Muppet!--of the URL is differentiated within your email.

This can be nice if the variable portion of the URL is already in its own field (maybe it’s an ID of some sort, or a customer number), and then you don’t need to use a mechanism to manufacture a separate URL.

To build that, click the Insert/Edit link dialog. Start building your text and link, and click the +Token icon within the Link section at the spot where you want the token to appear.