Solved

How do participants end up on bounce list?

• 30 January 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi,

We’ve never sent any emails to clients through Gainsight before. In preparation to do so, I created a participant list though a data set in JO to pull all contacts at active accounts. The participant list returns 55 failed participants due to “Participant part of Bounce List.” Why would this be if we’ve never emailed our customers this way before?

I will also add that I’ve done a similar process to create a participant list based on specific contact roles at all active accounts. The same contacts who are part of the bounce list above don’t come back as failed participants when I sync this more targeted list. Any reason for that?

Thanks for any insight you can give!

icon

Best answer by ashish_ahuja 30 January 2020, 18:04

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

There is a global bounce list maintained by Gainsight for all customers if you are using Gainsight (SendGrid) to send email. Therefore, it’s possible those email addresses have already been added to the global bounce list.

You can clear emails from the bounce list using the Email Validator with the Email Configuration part of Administration.

Hi @kleasure, as mentioned by @john_apple; there’s a global list of bounced emails maintained by Gainsight. When any of the emails sent out from Gainsight fails to get delivered because of Bounce/Reject or similar events to the given email address, it lands up in the Global bounce or corresponding list based on the failure. You can look for such emails and their failure reasons in the standard Email Logs object in gainsight on the field Event message for more information on why they failed in the first place which gives a brief cause.

If confident that the email should not be a part of bounce list and is incorrectly part of the list, it can be cleared from the list by going to Email Validator tab in the Email Configuration module of the Administration section as mentioned by @john_apple already.  

To your second question or confusion as to why the same participants did not come up as bounced for another list you had created, the reason might just be either those emails were not added to the bounce list by the time you synced the second list, or the emails would have been removed from the Global list while the other sync.

@john_apple thanks for your response. That’ll be helpful for managing the bounced emails. 

@ashish_ahuja to clarify my second question:

Yesterday contact XYZ was part of a participant list with the criteria that their role = primary contact. They didn’t come up as a failed participant.

Today contact XYZ was part of the participant list that includes all contacts, whether or not their role has been identified (so would include primary contacts from yesterday’s list). They did come up as a failed participant this time.

No programs have been published between when the two participant lists were synced, and no changes have been made to the global bounce list.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Yesterday contact XYZ was part of a participant list with the criteria that their role = primary contact. They didn’t come up as a failed participant.

Today contact XYZ was part of the participant list that includes all contacts, whether or not their role has been identified (so would include primary contacts from yesterday’s list). They did come up as a failed participant this time.

Are you using the Participant preview > Failed Participants? I think that only shows a limited sample of the failed participants -- so it’s possible they were visible in one sample pull but not from another program. I think you can download the entire participant list which might show the full details.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@john_apple what if I cleared a participant from the bounce list and they failed again when the rule next ran? How can I find out the reason they got on the list in the first place? I checked AO Email logs but the email address doesn’t appear there as a previous bounce.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @ana_g if a participant ends up on the bounce list it’s because a previous attempt to send an email to that recipient resulted in a bounce back. Basically that email is undeliverable. The email server on the recipient’s email system sends back the equivalent of a “return to sender” notice to the sending email server saying that the email address is not valid. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@ana_g did you get a chance to see the above comments? Please let us know if you need any help. 

Thanks, @john_apple  and @dan_ahrens