Following/Unfollowing Company Records

Hello,

I’m fairly new to Gainsight so this is most likely a newbie question, but I need some help with the “Following” functionality. I’ve noticed that whoever is assigned as the CSM to an account is automatically marked as “Following” that customer on their C360 page. This in turn provides notifications to the CSM, which I know can be adjusted in their notification setup. However, what I’m finding is that even when we switch an account from one CSM to another CSM, the original CSM is still marked as “Following” that customers. This causes issues since the original CSM no longer needs to receives notifications for that account. I know that it can be changed manually by going into that account and just clicking the button. Is there a way to have this change automatically or update it in bulk? I know I can generate a report to see who is following who. I also checked the Mass Edits functionality and didn’t find anything. In most instances this won’t be necessary, but occasionally would be helpful if a CSM leaves or get’s promoted. Any thoughts or suggestions?

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@justynharvey2021 I will get back to you on this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@justynharvey2021 as it exists today, the only way to change the assignments is manually. 

FYI @chethana 

Thank you! @dan_ahrens This would be a great feature/function to have available in the future.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I believe if you’re on SFDC Edition, there is an SFDC object which records which Gainsight Users have “followed” which Company records.

I have memories of using Workbench to update a large number of these records for exactly this use case….individuals had moved on and we wanted to bulk unfollow users from a large number of companies.

Keep me honest on this, @dan_ahrens .

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That’s correct @matthew_lind . That said, a broad majority of Gainsight customers are now on NXT, so I didn’t want to mention that older functionality since it’s likely not relevant to most admins now, and even if they were on SFDC, when they upgrade to NXT, it’s going to be different for them. 

Userlevel 4

Hello All,

• Having an ability to bulk update preferences
  • Capability to see a list of users following a company

Both of these are now part fo our roadmap, once it is prioritised i will update you all.

Dear @chethana ,

We are on NXT, but as a scale-up we have new people onboarding and thus accounts reassigned frequently. Good to see that this is on the roadmap.

Would it actually make sense to also add the following;

• As a user, I want the capability to see a list of companies that I am following?

Badge

We are running into the same issue.  Due to restructuring, our CSMs have a new BoB.  This means they are following accounts that are no longer theirs.  

This issue has started become apparent on our system as well. We’ve reallocated CSMs, and the ‘old’ CSMs are receiving notifications for their previously owned accounts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

While it’s not an immediate fix, if you’d like to Upvote the ability to Report on “Follows”, and hopefully also amend “Follows” for end users on a mass or systematic basis, visit this Idea:

While reporting on which company/relationship is followed by a user is useful, it would be better to automate this feature thus minimizing the need for reporting (or even eliminating it).

In NXT Admin » General Settings » Notification Settings, I can set the fields which auto subscribe a user for company updates (like CSM). If that field changes, it should set the follow/unfollow option for that Company/Relationship accordingly.

Sally is dependent on the follow/unfollow so anything manual around this feature is inefficient and will detract from using Sally. I’ve sent some time today looking to see if I could automate this with a rule!

Net net - if a CSM (for example) is assigned to a company/relationship, that company/relationship is set as “followed”. If the assignment changes, the out-going CSM gets “unfollow” and the new CSM gets “following”.

Thoughts?

@pjstrifas  Agree that reporting is useful, but won’t assist with bulk unfollowing. I’ve been checking with CSMs in my org, and have yet to find anyone who would want to follow a customer that was not theirs. However there’s always the possibility that there is someone who wants to follow a customer that they are not allocated to. 

In the short term, I’d be happy with the ability to use Mass Edit type functionality to bulk unfollow customers based on some logic.

Having the ability to report would get us halfway there. If we could report on the subscriptions (following) I’d probably use Data Designer to report on CSMs who are following customer accounts that they are no longer assigned to. I’ve done similar auditing to show CTAs that are not owned by the current allocated CSM.

@liam_nicholls There’s a few scenarios where a CSM (in my org) would follow a non-assigned customer (or Business Unit) so reporting is useful. It’s the next step, as you outlined, that’s missing IMO. There’s no way to manage the unfollow programmatically.

Mass Edit is a great option - I was stuck on using a rule.

Badge +1

Please upvote this idea: