Email Logs -> Email Logs V2 Field Equivalency (with my notes)

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Gainsight has decided to deprecate the Email Logs object in the next few months in favor of Email Log V2. For context, Email Logs is the original Gainsight email reporting object, and it lacked any external MDA lookups. It was useful for finding non-program sends, and bounce reasons. Email Logs was one of my favorite email reporting objects, because it can show ANY type of email send from your instance.

Email Log V2 is even more effective than its predecessor - it has an expanded list of fields on its schema (sourced from Email Raw Events lookups)  and MDA lookups that make it a much-improved analytical resource.

Before I get into discussing the basics of Email Log V2, I might as well provide the following “intro to Email Reporting” disclaimer:

• There are two classes of email reporting objects: Program reporting and Email Reporting
    • All Program related objects start with an AO prefix – stands for Advanced Outreach; the original name for a program.
      • The two most useful AO objects are AO Emails and AO Participants
      • AO Emails is the most connected JO object – when you combine Advanced Outreach name with Email Template name you can get an audit level report that show ALL emails sent by participant, by program → Email Log V2 provides a similar view if you use Source Name and Email Template Name
      • AO participant is one level below AO Emails, and lacks email template visibility – It creates your program Participant list; lists participants by single line item.
  • Email Logs V2 – Gainsight uses Sendgrid as the primary platform to send outbound email. The Sendgrid API feed is included in Email Raw Eventgs t is the most powerful object to report from for anything email.It can find almost any type of outbound email send including Email Assist, Simple Programs, Email to/from timeline

Email Log V2 is sourced by incoming send api data from Sendgrid (via: Email Raw Events). Sendgrid is the platform Gainsight uses to facilitate and manage outbound sends. Gainsight has a backend job that integrates this email api data with MDA data to populate the object. This explains why some of the field names differ from traditional Gainsight object nomenclature. Here are the most important fields you should focus on:

• Source Name = Program Name 
  • Source – *MUST HAVE field in all tabular Email Logs V2 reports – provides send method; can find non-JO email sends.
    • Source Options include:
    • Advanced Outreach (aka JO Program)
    • Cockpit (Email Assist) -- Will Be combined with Source Name=GSASSIST_COCKPIT
    • Timeline (will be combined with Source Name = GSASSIST_TIMELINE)
  • Bounced, Bounce Reason, Bounced Date – These fields explain the what, why and when someone had a bounce event.. finding the source bounce event can help explain certain bounce reasons in programs.

One of the best things I’ve started doing in large tabular reports is creating field blocks: Grouped similar fields that provide insight into a certain topic.. for instance, my typical “BIG” email log V2 report would be blocked out like this:

• Send info (source name, source, email template name, date sent)
  • Recipient info (*from person id lookup: First/Last/Full Name, Recipient Email, Company Name).
    • *email log V2::Name = participant full name; can use that as primary participant name field too
  • Sender Info (From Name, From Email ID, Sent Date). * User ID – pull this in for Dashboard reports.. can use Logged in User id to filter dash.
  • ID’s/GSID’s – Any of the Id/GSID’s that I find useful… I pull them in and shove them in at the end of my report…. human readable fields take precedence in my tabular reports
  • Bounce info – Bounce, Bounce Reason, Bounce Date

Knowing how to group fields will allow you to build reports quicker and tailor them for your use case.. you don’t have to pull in the same stuff in all the time.

This is by no means an exhaustive Email Logs V2 document – more like Cliff’s Notes. I have included an improved version of Bradley Bazhaw’s (amazing) Field Equivalency table (from this post). My main intent is to make using this object less daunting and provide input into what I have found to be the most useful fields to use for finding email info.

• I recorded this recap illustrating how to build a single email logs v2 report based on your reporting focus
  • I’ve included a spruced up excel sheet that includes general field equivalency (with my notes) as well as the actual field equivalency from an object build perspective. 
  • The docs team is working to complete customer facing documentation, I just wanted to provide a stop-gap until then.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Awesome work @dan_wiegert thanks for putting this together. Hopefully some version of this and the Published “official” documentation will become the baseline for feature migrations and new object documentation in the future (hint hint @ophirsw @courtney_hauser ), as this is something something that is very helpful in enabling and supporting admins.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

This is huge, @dan_wiegert . As a newer admin I spend so much time in Report Builder just pulling in fields to know what they’re supposed to be! Seeing your “translations” of these terms will make it much easier for me to pull together reports from this object.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Just a note, I was unable to see the breakdown of AO/Cockpit/Timeline and after a ticket with support, that level of detail is only available on Nxt environments, as this didn’t appear to be represented in any of the documentation I came across.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

The Gainsight Object Glossary currently has Source defined incorrectly. 

Correctly highlighted above:

• Source – *MUST HAVE field in all tabular Email Logs V2 reports – provides send method; can find non-JO email sends.
    • Source Options include:
    • Advanced Outreach (aka JO Program)
    • Cockpit (Email Assist) -- Will Be combined with Source Name=GSASSIST_COCKPIT
    • Timeline (will be combined with Source Name = GSASSIST_TIMELINE)

From the glossary: