Solved

Capturing Contacts When a Field Value Changes?

• 18 June 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hello! Wondering if any other admins have had to solve for a similar scenario?

I’d like to pull contacts into a program when they are identified as a new admin of a platform. It could be a new or existing contact, and is identified by a single picklist field (say the values are Manager/User/Support/Admin). So, they could have been marked as Support but are now Admin. When the contact becomes flagged as Admin, I’d like to bring them in, but I don’t want to include any contacts that are existing Admins.

There is no date stamp attached to this field changing but one will be implemented soon - it won’t track the change that was made though. So if the contact was Admin, someone accidentally changed it to User and then back to Admin - that is not a contact I would want to bring in to the program. Any thoughts?

icon

Best answer by rbegley 18 June 2020, 21:34

View original

2 replies

Badge

Hi Kelly,

The best option IMO is to have the Salesforce team enable history tracking on the picklist field you are trying to monitor. Once this is done, in a Bionic Rule or Query Builder, you will be able to find a history object for the object you chose to track (i.e. Contact History).  From there, you will want to add a filter for your specific field and look for all new entries -- ones created yesterday for example.

Two things to note: 

1. You will need to merge this data with Contact data in order to get an SFDC Account ID.
  2. New Value and Old Value are special ANYTYPE fields and cannot be filtered in a dataset.  You can however filter in an Action.  You will want to set action filters to check that the Old Value DOES NOT EQUAL to an Administrator role while the New Value EQUALS an Administrator role (to only find Contacts that are changing from a non-admin or blank role to an admin role).  Since you want to do this in a Program, you will need to play around and see if you can find a clever way to filter them there (putting the data through a transformation or pivot might change the datatype), or just use a Bionic Rule to stamp the date onto a Contact field.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks Rob - this is extremely helpful! Yes, we have the request in now to make this a tracked field, and this looks to be exactly what’s needed to start on the right track.